As much as we enjoy going out for Valentine's Day, it can get expensive, especially with my husband's birthday being eight days later. Since my kids and I are planning a fun little ski weekend to surprise him for his birthday, I'd like a low-key Valentine's Day at home, with a nice meal for the four of us.
Planning for Valentine's Day
I'm planning on the Apple Fritters for breakfast (get more Valentine Breakfast ideas here) and the kids love when we do all-appetizer dinners, so the meal is set. But I still want it more special than a regular weeknight dinner.
Decorating Ideas for Valentine's Day
- Know your purpose. Decide whom you are decorating for as this will determine the "mood" created. Children will like cutout hearts and candies, while a spouse will appreciate a fancy meal and elaborate desserts.
- Decide the budget and timeframe. If you will only have an hour to decorate then don't plan for much or prepare ahead of time. There are many things on the market today, but don't think you have to spend a lot to make it special. Keep in mind that Valentine's Day is celebrated to show special people how much you care, not how much money you have.
- Accomplish something special by sending greetings, making dinner or even washing someone's car. Decorating the house can include a framed picture, bath products set up nicely in a bathroom or an elaborately-made table serving a variety of desserts. For a family you might use cardboard cutouts of a heart, cupid, and even the kids' names to show how special they are. You may also include a Valentine box for each member of the family to deposit valentines. These can be made from old shoeboxes and decorated with fabric, paper and stickers.
- Get supplies early. Shop around for exactly what you need. Crafts stores, thrift shops and hardware stores are some places to start. A yard of fabric and some candles can go a long way. Create fancy wine glasses from thrift store finds and a little ribbon. Use your imagination.
- Use Printables. We've rounded up some FREE Valentine printables here. All you need a s printer and a pair of scissors and you can make cards and table toppers for your sweetie.
21 Perfect Summer Cocktails
Summer is HERE! Cheers to that! We are embracing the relaxed atmosphere that Summer brings. Mamas, let down your hair and enjoy the little things in life, like cocktail umbrellas and margarita salt. To help get you in the mood for summer relaxation we've done some research and ...read more
Home Chef Pork Buying Basics
Nothing offers the smoker more versatility than the humble pig. Every cut off the pig is smoker friendly, and delivers a different delicious flavor to suit every taste. In his new book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Smoking Foods, Chef Ted Reader breaks down the different cuts of ...read more
Ultimate Refreshing Summer Poolside Punch
Time for some fun in the sun ladies and I have just the adult beverage you need! Yes, I said NEED. This poolside rum punch is so delicious and easy to make it will is the perfect recipe to whip up for the long, sunny, pool days ahead. Related: Frozen prosecco ice cubes ...read more
Need more inspiration? Don't miss our Valentine's Day cocktails.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE IT A HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
- 10 Valentine's Day Mailboxes to Craft with Your Kids
- Best Kids Valentine's Day Ideas on Pinterest
- Two sweet kids valentine baskets
Be sure to follow our Valentines board and pin your favorite ideas.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.