With summer coming to a close, moms are planning to use the extra time to do much more than plan family vacations and outdoor activities. TOTSY, the private sale site exclusively dedicated to delivering must-haves to parents, children and babies, surveyed its member moms about family plans for summer reading. Nearly 70 percent of moms said their kids'?? reading habits will change during the next few months!
Survey responses showed that moms believe the most important aspects of summer reading are to bond (40%) and to educate (35%) their children.
Bonding: Many moms use reading as a way to bond with their child, starting even before they are born. In fact, 45% of those surveyed reported that moms are the parent that most prevalently read to kids, more than twice as often dad!
- Summer Reading Format: Nearly 61% of moms prefer reading printed books than digital or audio books.
- Summer Reading Frequency: During summer break, 32% of moms plan to read to their kids two to three times a day and 10% of moms more than three times.
- Summer Reading Times: 32% of moms said they read with their kids in the morning, during playtime, before naptime, and before bedtime. Working moms noted summer reading will occur after they get home from work.
Education: Moms know it'??s important to keep their children intellectually stimulated. A separate nationally representative survey conducted by TOTSY (TOTSY Moms'?? Annual Shopping Trends Report) showed that 57% of moms find reading and comprehension to be the most important developmental skill.
- Timing is everything! 89% of moms said the most important years to foster a child'??s development are between newborn to age 5, with ages 3 to 5 garnering 56% of the vote.
- One in five moms would spend over half of their income on their child'??s education if they knew products or services would be effective. Nearly 5% noted they would spend it all! Currently, 65% of moms spend up to 30% of their income on educational development.
- Over 30% noted they plan to find their children'??s summer reading materials at the book store and another 30% plan to find them at the library. A striking 67% of moms plan to keep these books in almost every room in the house.
Favorite Books and Book Series:
- Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon and Cinderella are among moms'?? favorite children'??s books. Dr. Seuss, Thomas the Tank and Berenstein Bears topped the list as moms'?? favorite series.
- Dr. Seuss, Hungry Caterpillars and The Giving Tree were moms'?? favorites in their children'??s library.
For more information, please visit www.TOTSY.com
Momtrends as not paid for this post.