Back to school season is upon us and to get prepared and back on schedule Momtrends spoke with Dr.Alanna Levine, MD at a recent event hosted by Kimberly-Clark. Featuring brands we all know and love (Colgate, Kleenex, Pull-Ups, Huggies and many more), Alanna was on-hand to discuss how to set kids up with healthy habits for success during the school year. Here are some of her key tips so your kids can have a wonderful back to school season.
1. Shield them everywhere.
- Encourage your kids to cough or sneeze into a tissue and throw it away immediately.
- Tooth decay is the Number 1 dental problem among preschoolers, so make good oral hygiene a part of your family's daily routines.
- Remind your kids to wash and dry their hands.
2. Let their confidence shine.
- Hygiene issues can make a teen self-conscious about participating in physical activity. Help them take care of their bodies and overcome barriers to an active lifestyle.
- Clean skin can help teens prevent acne and manage teenage body odor. A clean skin rontine can also help them fresh and feeling more confident.
3. Keep the home clean.
- A little cleaning goes a long way toward keeping kids healthy. Use dish liquid and other household cleaners to control germs.
- Prevent germs by cleaning common areas such as door handles by wiping them off with a paper towel or rag.
4. Start the learning early.
- Toilet training is an exciting milestone. Celebrate progress with praise, reward charts, or small prizes.
- Teach kids to wash hands when potty training for at least 20 seconds and dry them for 20 seconds.
- Begin coaching children at two years old to brush twice daily with a child-sized toothbrush and a small amount of fluoride toothpaste. Supervise to help them brush each tooth, including those hard-to-reach molars.
For more healthy back-to-school tips, please visit: facebook.com/HealthyRoutines
Momtrends was not paid for this post.