Scholastic Whoopi event in New York, Monday, Nov. 28, 2011. (Photo/Stuart Ramson)
A new initiative by Scholastic called the "One Million Bookprints for One Million Books'? Campaign is pledging to donate one million books to kids in need through the literacy nonprofit Reach Out and Read. By joining Scholastic'??s online book communityYouAreWhatYouRead.com, you can make a Bookprint '?? a list of five books that have shaped your life. And for every Bookprint, Scholastic Book Clubs will donate a book through Reach Out and Read. This comes at a critical time for children'??s literacy organizations since recent government funding cuts are straining these organizations that provide books to the neediest children and critical advice to parents on how to develop their children'??s early literacy skills at home.
Whoopi Goldberg kicked off Scholastic'??s '??One Million Bookprints for One Million Books'? Campaign on The View and Dr. Oz, Jenny McCarthy, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Seinfeld, Nicole Kidman, Goldie Hawn, Marcia Gay Harden, Julie Andrews, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, and Soleil Moon Frye are also on board with this incredible campaign. (More on the full list of celebrities involved in the campaign.)
Here are Whoopi'??s top 5 books:
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupÃ©ry
- Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
More about the Campaign:
- Create a Bookprint - listing the five books that helped shape your life.
- Discover new books through that shows how users' Bookprints are connected.
- Find and connect with users from more than 145 countries and of all ages to see the books in their Bookprints.
- Compare Bookprints to those of the participating "Names You Know," and find out if they share a book with famous athletes, award-winning entertainers, world-renowned scientists, or iconic business leaders.
- "Favorite" other books they like and check out what similar users enjoy reading.
- Share a book in the real word through Pass It On, which encourages users to give a favorite book to a family member, a friend, or leave it on a park bench for someone else to enjoy.
- Join on-going conversations about books and Bookprints via Blurbs and a live feed of comments.
- Access a quick guide for educators to use the site with their students.
- Find a book at a local library
Scholastic is also having a fantastic giveaway for those that create a bookprint! Participants can win the same books given to the audience at The View (The Invention of Hugo Cabret, The Hunger Games, The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones, Captain Underpants, and Clifford the Champion.)
Make a bookprint today '?? and help kids you know make theirs. It'??s free, easy, and can make a difference.
For more information on the Read Every Day campaign, visit http://www.scholastic.com/readeveryday
Momtrends was not paid for this post.