Britax, to me, is the only name in car seats. Britax has long been known for the quality, safety and comfort it affords to each car seat it designs. Britax recently launched a new car seats - just in time for back-to-school when most of us will be in out of cars. For us, back-to-school means annual physical exams and with that comes a height and weight check. This is the perfect opportunity to stop and check to ensure that the car seat you are using for your child is an appropriate one. It is also a great time to check to see that your car seat has not expired, which they do after years of use. The materials in the car seat actually start to break down and are no longer equipped to provide the intended safety as they once did. Check your child's car seat expiration date to be sure, they vary by manufacture from seat to seat. For this reason, I would recommend you purchasing your child's car seat at the time you plan on using it.
Of course, no car seat is effective if it is not installed properly. Yes, car seats can be cumbersome items and often require a bit of gymnastics to install, but your child's safety counts on it, so we advise that you take time to carefully read the manual before installing your car seat in your vehicle. Big B was excited to try out his new Frontier SICT 85, combination Harness-2-Booster. We sat him in it on our porch to check the shoulder harness height. For forward-facing children, that is, any child OVER the AGE of TWO, the shoulder straps should be at or above the height of the shoulder. For rear-seated children, the straps should be below the height of the shoulder. The new Frontier 85 SICT, harness-2-booster was easy to adjust. I loved that I didn't need to remove the straps to adjust it. It adjusts from the back with a simple unlock/lock and slide system.
Another important tip to remember is that once your child's car seat is installed properly, and they are seated, be sure that the chest harness is fully clicked and rests at a "T" level with his/her armpits. They should also be fitted snugly, with only a finger fitting underneath the strap.
As soon as Big B climbed into his new Frontier 85 SICT Harness-2-Booster, he noted how comfortable it made him feel. As a parent, I noticed just how protected he was. The Frontier 85 SICT, combination Harness-2-Booster gently hugged his whole body and enveloped him in safety. Big B noted the not one but two integrated cup holders, one for his trusty pirate SIGG bottle, the other for numerous (toy) frogs. As he was seated, I always noted that in order to clean his Frontier 85 SICT, I would could easily remove the fabric, wipe it down and pop it back in, in a matter of minutes.
He is four years old, but not yet 40 lbs. We feel most comfortable with him in a five-point harness car seat at this time, but love that his new Frontier 85 SICT combination, will be ready to easily convert when he (and we) are ready for a booster car seat. This comprehensive video provided by Britax is a great overview of the new Frontier 85 SICT.
Did I mention Britax is made right here in the USA? Here are some other Frontier SICT-85 Harness-2-Booster features that makes Britax the most trusted name in car seats for this mama:
- Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger
- True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing foam, keeping the head, neck and spine '??in true'? or aligned, and deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body
- 85-pound Five-Point Harness Seat Capacity allows your child to remain harnessed up to 85 lbs or in booster mode to 120 lbs
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Tangle Free, Five-Point Harness with 10 harness height positions (up to 20") and three buckle positions for a snug and secure fit as your child grows
- Harness Ultra Guard System (HUGS'?¢) provides resistance to forward movement in the event of a crash
- Compatible with SecureGuard which works with the vehicle safety belt in booster mode to prevent the child from sliding under the lap-belt portion of the safety belt during impact, thus minimizing the risk of abdominal injury (accessory sold separately)
- Energy-Absorbing Foam Liner (EPS) absorbs and distributes crash forces
- Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact forces
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child
- Easy-Remove Cover allows easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the car seat
- Armrests help provide a secure fit and a comfortable place to rest tired arms
- Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps
- Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release
- Color-Coded Vehicle Belt Guides indicate the path and positioning of the vehicle lap and shoulder seat belt
- Integrated Cup Holders are designed to fit common beverages such as 20 oz reusable water bottles
- Harness-2-Booster converts to a belt-positioning booster seat
- Certified for Aircraft Travel in Harness Mode
- Made in the USA with global components
- MSRP (USD) $339.99
The Britax Frontier 85 SICT Harness-2-Booster car seat is currently available for purchase. Click here for the Britax store locator or buy online. Follow @britax on twitter or find them on facebook to learn about new products, ask questions and learn insider tips.
Michelle is a SAHM and self-described '??green'? fashionista. She is a NYC woman, turned burbs mama, raising her 2 B'??s in an eco conscious manner. She blogs about natural parenting and green living at www.everythingsabuzz.com. Find her on twitter @queentob. Have a fashion question? Look for the new Syncing Your Style section on the Momtrends facebook page or tweet us your fashion questions at @momtrends!
Momtrends was not compensated for this post. We did receive a Britax Frontier SICT-85 combination Harness-2-booster Care Seat to review.