Although most of my work is done online, I haven't really introduced apps to my older daughter. We do occasionally use them for travel, and I am starting to see more value in them - especially with the incredible amount of educational and art apps out there.
I recently had the chance to test drive Martha Stewart's New CraftStudio App. To learn more about this app (released today for the iPad), I took my girls to Martha Stewart's offices for an afternoon of creative play, digitally crafting and some cupcake eating.
The team from Martha Stewart explained to us how it worked, which essentially is an easy and fun way to create personalized cards, scrapbooks, thank-you notes, inviations and posters by incorporating imagery or using colored and patterned '??paper'? backgrounds, stickers, stamps, glitter, textured borders, fonts, and punches inspired by the Martha Stewart Crafts product line.
At the time it was almost Father's Day, so we decided to make a card for my husband as well as a card for my mother-in-law's upcoming birthday. After a few minutes of instruction, my four and a half-year-old started playing with the different themes like 'Everyday,' 'Birthday Party,' Nature' and 'Doily Lace.' You can then incorporate a picture and enhance it with virtual glitter, personal messaging, stickers, etc. After creating the first card, my daughter was hooked and knew how to navigate the app while she customized her creations (check out her card below with no help from me).
What I really loved about the app was that it incorporated the idea of paper-crafting and memory-keeping through a modern format that makes it is preserve and share images. After you finish, you can share it via email, Twitter and facebook - making it easy for the whole family to see what your little artist created.
Additionally, the app has an integration with Snapfish by HP where designs can be printed directly from the app using an AirPrint-enabled printer.
After making about four cards, my daughter was hooked on the creative app and wanted to make even more. She created one with an ice cream and another with elements from nature all using her own ideas as well as the inspiration from the numerous features included in the app.As someone that doesn't really use apps I really appreciated its many unique features that focused on creativity, imagination and art - making it ideal for kids of all ages!
Check out Martha's voiceover for the app'??s tutorial videos:
Some more cool features of the app:
- Instructional how-to videos featuring tips from Martha Stewart.
- Ability to upload designs to Snapfish for professional printing via online-to-retail or mail-order '?? perfect for holiday cards, save-the-dates, invitations, and announcements.
- Photo Library integration that allows users to import photos directly from the iPad and save designs back to Photos.
- An extensive assortment of colored and patterned '??paper'? backgrounds, stickers, stamps, glitter, textured borders, fonts, and punches inspired by the Martha Stewart Crafts product line.
- Four introductory themed bundles: Everyday, Birthday Party, Doily Lace, and Nature.
- Five additional themed bundles of punches, papers, stickers, and glitter available via In-App Purchase featuring seasonal and occasional motifs: Elegant Celebrations, Spring, Outdoors, Vacation Adventure, and Summer Fun.
- Galleries of inspiring designs created by the editors at Martha Stewart Living.
There is also a Pinterest contest coinciding with the launch of the app where users can submit their favorite memories that they created from the app. Martha Stewart Living editors will then select the top submissions to be featured on Martha Stewart Living'??s Pinterest page. The submission with the highest number of Pinterest repins wins! Prizes are below. The official contest page is marthastewart.com/craftstudiocontest.
1st prize: HP TopShot LaserJet Pro M275 printer (AirPrint technology)
2nd prize: Gift card for Snapfish
3rd prize: an assortment of Martha Stewart Crafting tools
To purchase the app, visit: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/martha-stewart-craftstudio/id524409493?ls=1&mt=8
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We were given some fun craft supplies.