Are you planning an Oscar party? Momtrends has compiled some great ideas to help you host a party your friends never forget.
For food and drinks, the experts at iVillage provided us with 34 options for the perfect evening, including:
- Speedy Snacks! 20 3-Ingredient Appetizers - Tantalizing options with minimal ingredients and prep time so you can enjoy the Oscars with your guests. Consider shrimp with marmalade sauce, crispy roasted chick peas, and more.
- 9 Best Picture-Inspired Menus for Oscar Parties - Themed menus, including southern food for The Help and French cuisine for Midnight in Paris, feature the best picture nominees in a unique way.
- 5 Best Picture-Inspired Cocktails for Oscar Night - No Oscar party is complete without a great cocktail, these movie inspired ones are sure to fit the bill. A tropical cocktail based on the Descendants helps carry on the party theme.
The Ten Best Wooden Play Kitchens For Kids
Cooking is a timeless fascination for children. This type of play goes beyond gender and teaches kids loads of life skills along the way. An investment in a play kitchen is money well spent, as it can provide hours of entertainment. We've rounded up the ten best wooden play ...read more
New Victory Announces a New Season of Shows
We know you're busy planning picnics and summer outings, but we wanted to let you know that The New Victory just announced their new season and it looks fantastic. We thought you'd like a sneak peek of what's in store! Each year the New Vic theater brings culture to tourists and ...read more
Fun Ways to Discover Venice Italy with Your Family
Greetings from Italy wear the gelato is rich, the clothes divine and the scenery is inspiring. Now that I've been to this fine city in the north of Italy, twice, I've amassed a list of favorites to share. These are some fun ways to discover Venice, Italy with your family. ...read more
For decor, Drea Christopher from eHow Home offers these memorable tips for an amazing party:
- Place a long, red area rug or red bed sheet in the entryway of your home to simulate the red carpet that Oscar nominees and presenters walk down as they enter the venue. If you have a tile or hardwood floor, tack the rug down with double-stick tape at the corners to keep the fabric safely in place.
- Shine "spotlights" on the guests as they enter the room by tilting the lampshades of tall lamps toward the door or by propping high-powered flashlights on tables near the doorway.
- Create cardboard cutouts of celebrities that the guests can "mingle" with before the show. Take images of the guests' favorite actors and actresses from previous Academy Award appearances to a copy shop and have them enlarged into life-size posters. Use double-stick tape to affix the images to long pieces of cardboard sold at office supply stores. Cut the background away with a craft knife or box cutter to leave just the celebrity's body. Prop the cutouts against chairs or along a wall.
- Make an easy Oscar party centerpiece for the refreshment table by using a plastic replica of an Oscar statuette from a party supply store as an anchor to hold a cluster of gold balloons. Serve food and drinks with gold-colored paper plates, cups and napkins embellished with stickers in shapes like stars, movie reels, Oscar statuettes or glasses of champagne.
- Drape gold metallic streamers across the ceiling and hang twinkling white lights around windows for ambiance. Hang long pieces of gold fabric from doorways with temporary adhesive so guests will have to walk through the "curtains" when they exit and enter the room.
- Line a table with party favors in gold bags to resemble the free goodies that celebrities get for presenting awards at the Oscars. Give guests a variety of items, ranging from chocolates and body lotions to movie theater gift cards or DVDs of newly released movies.
Shannon is a Canadian mom to her two little Texans, now living in Colorado, and the author of '??BentoLunch.net '?? What'??s for Lunch at Our House,'? her blog detailing the adventures of feeding her children.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.