Tomorrow is the biggest shopping day of the year. While you are out trying to score some deals, credit thefts are also working hard to steal and have your ID compromised. Even worse is that today's thief is technologically savvy thanks to the Internet, ID scanners and camera phones, which helps them to steal credit card numbers and build a personal profile on an individual.
Momtrends recently learned some tips on how to protect your identity by using credit cards that contain two way radios called radio frequency identification (RFID) chips. The technology lets you wave your credit card, passport or license in front of a nearby scanner, instead of having to slide the magnetic stripe through it - which can help prevent electronic stealing.
In addition to RFID chips, Momtrends learned about some tips from GreenPath Debt Solutions, a nationwide, non-profit financial organization, on how consumers can protect their identity, not only on Black Friday, but, whenever they are shopping:
1. Before you leave your house, take out the credit cards that you know you will not be using. This will also cut down on temptation of shopping beyond your set gift list for the day.
2. Keep the front and back information on your card, so you have contact information quickly in case your card is stolen. Keep this in a safe place in your home.
3. Consider purchasing a secure sleeve to keep your credit card in, and safe from RFID scanners.
4. Do not carry your social security card with you. That number is vital in opening new credit accounts.
5. Watch where you leave your card when you shop and don't leave it on a counter with people around.
6. Keep your receipts in your purse or wallet, not in the bag. This will make it easier to track your merchandise spending and help you to stay within your budget.
Five Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Patch Visit
It's that time of the year again...pumpkin patch time! While I love a nice Pumpkin Spice Latte as much as the next fall lovin' girl...for me, the season is all about spending time with my family...and hopefully that time is spent outside as much as possible. If you're headed out ...read more
Perfect for Fall Pumpkin Spice Dirt Bomb Recipe
Get your pumpkin spice fix with this tasty dirt bomb recipe. Unlike fried donuts, this recipe is a little lighter and, since no hot oil is involved, a lot less messy. These dirt bombs, or baked donuts, are irresistible cakey muffins that are spiked with nutmeg and ginger, and ...read more
Save Money at a Ski Swap
Are the slopes in your future? If you want to save money on ski gear, consider a ski swap. A swap is a great way to buy and sell used equipment. Most swaps consist of a variety of gear, from brand new to used skis and snowboards to skis; from poles to boots to bindings and ...read more
7 .If your merchandise bag is stolen, quickly go back to the store to report your robbery. The thief might have a harder time returning the merchandise without a receipt & perhaps a quick thinking salesperson may be able to identify them.
GreenPath also provided us with the steps to take if you become a victim of identity theft:
1. Contact the three credit bureaus and tell them that you have been a victim of identity theft.
2. Contact your creditors directly and ask to speak to someone in the security department. Freeze the existing account.
3.Contact local law enforcement and get a police report. This will serve as documentation that a crime has occurred.
For more information, please visit www.greenpath.com
Momtrends was not paid for this post.