Travelocity travel experts dug into the website'??s summer booking data to discover where families will take their summer vacations in 2011. Overwhelmingly, families will travel to beach destinations in the U.S. and the Caribbean. There were a few surprises in the list and a few predictable spots.
1. Orlando: Orlando is, not surprisingly, the number-one family destination for summer 2011. With theme parks galore and some of the summer'??s most competitive room rates, fun and value reign supreme on Orlando vacations. Hello Disney? Is that you calling us?
2. Cancun: A destination once known for spring break debauchery, Cancun has reinvented itself as a family-friendly destination. It comes in as the number-one destination for families traveling internationally, and two on the overall list. We recently sat down with the marketing team at Villa Del Plamar. This swank new all-inclusive resort is indicative of the changes happening. The resort features family suites and a kids club (main feature pictures).
3. Honolulu: Four destinations in Hawaii made their way into the top ten summer destinations for families, but of those, Honolulu comes out on top. Direct flights to Honolulu are available from many U.S. cities, making getting to world-famous Waikiki Beach a breeze.
4. Maui: Famous as a honeymoon destination, Maui vacations are also a favorite for families, especially during the summer months. Turns out kids and couples alike love the beautiful beaches, where the sand color ranges from white to black to red.
5. Kauai: Beautiful coastline and secluded beaches are a given on Hawaii vacations, but Kauai is the perfect island choice for active families and nature lovers.
6. Bahamas: Cheap flights to Nassau make getting to the Bahamas both easy and affordable. Though not technically part of the Caribbean, expect the same beautiful white-sand beaches, hotels in every price range and flowing rum punch.
7. Kona: Found on the island of Hawaii (or, The Big Island), Kona is an excellent destination from which to explore. From snow-capped mountains (yes, there'??s snow in Hawaii!) to rainforests to the world'??s most active volcano, this island is also the state'??s most diverse.
8. Puerto Vallarta: Puerto Vallarta is Mexico'??s second-most-popular destination for families this summer. Mexico vacation packages are always a great value and this beach destination on the country'??s west coast is no exception.
9. Turks & Caicos: Talk about an island that just keeps getting more and more popular '?? Turks & Caicos climbs up the list of top-booked destinations each year. Caribbean vacations are always popular for families and this island is proving to be a top pick.
10. Dominican Republic: Rounding out the top 10 most popular summer destinations for families is the D.R. and it'??s no wonder. There are many direct flights to Dominican Republic every day, so towing the kiddies and all their stuff is no problem. Plus, Dominican Republic resorts come in every shape, size and price range.
Which of these are on your list? We're keen to try Turks & Caicos--not ready for the 12 hour flight with the kids to Hawaii just yet.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.