I love sharing my travel finds. As I'm updating travel posts for Momtrends, I came across these Reyjavik Travel Favorites. While it's been more than ten years since my visit. These picks are still going strong.
Reyjavik Travel Favorites
Reykjavik, on the coast of Iceland, is the country's capital and largest city. It's a great launching pad for your Iceland adventures. It's also home to the National and Saga museums, tracing Iceland’s Viking history
Getting to Reykjavik
Originally we planned on Reykjavik as a pitstop on our way to Europe. Iceland Air had a wonderful price and, what the heck!, why not check out the capital. We were delighted to find a coastal town with plenty of natural splendor.
Just a few hours outside of Reykjavik, there are geysers, waterfalls and hot springs. We walked along the sea wall, ate lunch at an outdoor cafe (though in the 50's the sun made it feel warmer) and checked out the botanic garden and zoo. Definitely a kid-friendly spot. And the best news? The flight is a little over 4 hours from NYC.
Here are few suggestions on things to do in Reykjavik
- Act like a local and visit the Sundlaug Vesturbaer Outdoor thermal pool in Reykjavik. It's an 50m outdoor pool. There are also two indoor pools and seven hot tubs, a steam bath and three water slides. Get more details here https://visitreykjavik.is/swimming-reykjavik-0
- Eat at Apotek bar and grill has a gourmet Icelandic menu Austurstræti 16, 101 Reykjavík
- Vox for an upscale dining experience. Hilton Reykjavík Nordica, 108, Suðurlandsbraut 2, 105 Reykjavík
- Stay at the Hotel 101 for a chic spot with waterfront views. This Design Hotel is a romantic spot with a masculine feel. The hotel is located right in the harbor and features extraordinary artwork by Icelandic artists found throughout the public areas.
- Visit the puffins on Akurey a bird-island. Here is your chance to experience the 'clowns of the sea' in their natural environment. Book your tour here https://elding.is/
One wouldn't think of a family holiday to Iceland , but I'm happy to report that we may bring our daughter along on our next journey to this gorgeous land.
More Momtrends Travel
Want more great travel ideas? Be sure to check out these travel posts.
Use pinterest to save your favorite family travel features from Momtrends. Be sure to follow our Travel with Kids board.
This Reyjavik Travel Favorites feature is not sponsored.