Autumn is a fantastic time to visit the Green Mountain State (please do so safely and follow all Vermont travel guidelines). The changing colors of the season make a picture perfect setting for your family to get outdoors before we have to layer up. I've put together a family fun Vermont fall bucket list to help guide your weekend adventures before the snow starts.
Vermont Fall Bucket List
- Scenic Lift Ride on a Single Chair. Mad River Glen is a pretty special place in the winter: it's one of only a few ski resorts run as a co-op, they don't allow snowboarding AND they have an old-school single chair lift that's still operational. For a few days every fall, they open the single chair for leaf peeping. Make a picnic and plan on some hiking too. 57 Schuss Pass, Waitsfield, VT Get all the details here to plan your visit.
- Pumpkin Picking at Equinox Nursery. Farming is a big part of Vermont's DNA and in October, it's all about the pumpkins. Visit the Equinox Nursery in Manchester, VT to get into the spirit of the season and get your pumpkin for carving. We bought tickets for the tractor ride to take in the views of Mount Equinox and had some awesome cider too. 1158 Main St, Manchester, VT Get all the details here to plan your visit.
- Stowe Ghost Tour. The Stowe at Night, Lantern Tour is a fun outing that's slightly on the spooky side. Colloquially it's known as the "Ghost Tour." The tour runs nightly and loops through the main area of Stowe. Meet your guide, Sean, in front of Stowe's visitor's center. Fees are $10 for adults and $5 for kids 10-18. Under 10 is free. To book, email Newf1Ted@aol.com or call 802-244-1173. Bookings are pretty informal, but you should call ahead.
- Nosh on Fresh Cider Donuts. Yes, I love Dunkin' as much as the next New Englander, but in the fall I want old-fashioned donuts. Cider Mill uses an old-school donut maker that is cool to watch and it creates the most delish warm treats. Cider Donuts are made fresh daily all year round, but they taste the best in the fall. Note for those of you who can't get to Vermont, they ship! 3600 Waterbury-Stowe Rd. Waterbury VT. Get the details here coldhollow.com
- Picnic and Explore Lareau Farm. Home to our favorite pizza, American Flatbread, this farm offers a lot more than just incredible crust and creative toppings, it's an autumnal paradise. Start with a self-directed farm tour to check how sustainable practices work. Next, hop onto a hiking trail off the back edge of the property. Then tuck into your pizza. Right now, dining in is off the table (ha, ha), the only option is to take a pizza home or picnic. I say, grab a sweater or a blanket and socially distance on the lawn. 46 Lareau Rd, Waitsfield. Get the details here americanflatbread.com
5 Pretty Ways To Organize Your Jewelry
I admit - I'm guilt. Despite my best efforts, my "jewelry drawer" has become a tangled mess of necklaces, bracelets and earrings. This cluttered collection not only makes it hard to see what I have, but difficult to untangle the pieces I do want to wear! This summer, I'm ...read more
This Year's Coolest Jumbo Pool Floats
Pool season is almost here! I can't wait to relax, read a book, and sip a cocktail while lazily drifting in an oversized float. (Just kidding, I have two toddlers--but a swim mama can dream, right?). If you've got a staycation planned, check out this year's coolest jumbo pool ...read more
Crystal Clear and Pristine: Pool-Cleaning Tips
Tropical Storm Isaiah gave us quite the midsummer surprise here in the suburbs of New York City. We just got our power back on after a whole week of darkness! With trees down, debris everywhere, and lots of uncertainty, one thing we forgot to check on: our above ground Intex ...read more
MORE TRAVEL IDEAS FROM MOMTRENDS
- Where to eat in the Mad River Valley of Vermont
- We love the Trapp Family Lodge for cross country skiing
- Plan your visit to the Norman Rockwell museum
Use Pinterest to save your favorite family travel destinations to help inspire your next trip. Be sure to follow our Travel with Kids board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.