I love a good outlet shopping haul. On a recent girl's getaway I popped into the Woodbury Outlets and got two amazing pieces at All Saints. One find was a black pair of distressed denim. As I slipped them on, I wondered: Am I too old for this trend? Should this look be tucked way back in my closet? Or can a 49 year-old rock them? I think I cam pull them off and I'm sharing tips on how to style distressed denim and not look like you are trying too hard.
Are distressed jeans for the 20 and under age group? Should only the likes of Billie Eilish get to wear them?
I'm not sure where the fashion jury will come out on this one. Mr. Momtrends hates the trend--but I get more votes in my wardrobe than he does. Comfort-wise this can't be beat, but it sure lacks that professional polish I try to keep. Since I work in a creative industry, I can get away with them on just about any day. If you work in a more traditional field, save this for weekends or date nights.
What I'm Wearing with my Distressed Denim
I added an All Saints motorcycle jacket (but this faux leather jacket I talked about last week would also work) on top. I love the pop of color and the structure of the jacket. Underneath, I wore a fitted ribbed turtleneck -- it's important to keep things sleek with distressed denim. Leave the oversized baggie sweatshirts to the teens.
I kept my accessories simple. I have simple stud earrings in and my go-to black suede booties from Joules.
How to Style Distressed Denim and Not Look Like You Are Trying Too Hard
- Wear with dressy flats--think patent ballet slippers or leopard flats.
- For fall or winter this jean will be ultra-hip with booties.
- Keep the top sleek. I like a sleeveless turtleneck on top or a classic v-neck sweater.
- If you pair with a blazer, keep it fitted. Otherwise you'll appear too shapeless (not a good look for most of us).
- Another option is a cropped motorcycle jacket.
MORE FASHION TIPS FOR MOMS
- Why You Need a Faux Leather Jacket
- How to Style and Wear Leggings
- Favorite Booties That Are Comfortable and Stylish
Use pinterest to save your favorite fashion posts. Be sure to follow our Fall Fashion Trends Pinterst board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.