When you head to Arizona in the summer you need a plan for how to dress for hot weather. This look started with a hat and went from there. If you care about protecting your face from the sun, you need a great hat. I'm rounding up some cute Panama hats to get you through summer.
History of the Panama Hat
The Panama hat started in Ecuador. It was first made of palm leaves (which were readily available). Nowadays they are fashioned from straw. They are known for being light and breathable, which make them perfect for summer travel.
Hat styling Tips
I'm wearing a classic Panama hat from J.Crew. In Arizona, the sun is no joke. All the girls on this trip to the Canyon Ranch had a strong hat game going on. The temps soared to well over 100 degrees. This one was woven by hand in Ecuador. The lightweight palm is idea to shade your face and protect your skin.
To style it, I simply swept my hair into a tidy low ponytail. Perfect for travel or a hot day when you need protection. Bonus: You don't really have to style your hair.
Four Cute Panama Hats
- FURTALK Sun Hat: This offers UV UPF 50+ and is foldable making it ideal for packing for the beach. This one comes in six colors ($26). Get it on Amazon here.
- Classic Panama hat from J.Crew: This one is stiffer (which is great for style points with a nice wide black band. ($79). Get it from J.Crew.
- Eugenia Kim: I don't know if you can strictly call this a Panama hat (because of the colors), but I love the colors and design. It's packable and has a 3" brim. ($278) Get it at Bloomingdale's here.
- Etsy Raffia Hat: I love the rough-hewn look of this handmade raffia hat. It's got a 2.5" brim and is ready for travel. ($72). Get it on Etsy here.
A Simple Summer Outfit
How do you accessorize an easy summer outfit? Simply and lightly. I picked a cuff from Stella & Dot and my classic gold Birkenstocks. My theory? When you are wearing a hat, it's best to keep it simple. I'm wearing a classic t-shirt (an essential for your summer wardrobe). This one from Splendid is from my spring capsule. I've styled it so many ways and with so many outfits.
The skirt was picked up a the cabi Scoop event last month. I was able to shop the sample sale and this skirt from the spring 2016 line is wonderful for travel.
And here's a look at my stylish friends--many of them jumping on the hat trend.
MORE SUMMER STYLE FROM MOMTRENDS
- Best straw bags for summer
- Tips for picking the right sunglasses for your face.
- Stylish beach accessories
Use Pinterest to save your favorite fashion posts. Be sure to follow our Summer Style board here.
Shop the Look
p.s. Have you signed up for LiketoKnow.It yet? I’m using it more and more to tag my instagram photos so friends can shop from my picks. It’s an easy way to get my favorites delivered to your inbox. You like the photos on instagram, and you get an email with the shopable links of what you liked. Pretty easy.
This is not a sponsored post. Some affiliate links are used. When you shop the links, you support Momtrends and our editorial staff.