As an avid skier and a lover of most winter sports, I take the pre-season pretty seriously. Fall is the time to make sure I ramp up my fitness routine so I can enjoy the snow all winter long. I like variety, so I've rounded up six workout to get you ready for ski season.
Six Workout Ideas to Get You Ready for Ski and Snowboard Season
Our ideas don't involve gym memberships or expensive equipment. These resources are cheap, free or use subscription apps to get your sweat on.
- Run and train for a virtual 5k. The fall weather is perfect running weather. Now is the time to train for a 5k or 10k. There are loads of races that have gone online. Head here to get all the information you need including training tips and a few race ideas.
- Hiking. Why not combine fitness with leaf peepin! Enjoy the change of season as you build your fitness level. Hiking is great ski prep because it builds muscles and connective tissue without the wear and tear running can cause. I use the AllTrails app for new hike ideas and I bring my dog and a friend--it's all perfectly safe and socially distanced.
- Plank challenge. Last year my ski moms group participated in a "plank challenge." We added a few seconds every day to a plank to get our core muscles in shape. Check out this 30-day Challenge on Pinterest.
- Online Yoga. Yoga builds nice supple muscles that are ideal for injury prevention. If you can't get to a class, bring the class to you. I use Bulldog Yoga on demand, a new streaming video platform, that offers the same great sweat as their signature in-studio classes. These classes have been keeping me sane during COVID. Head here to get your first 30 days free.
- Jumping Rope. Jumping rope does wonders for building strength, and increasing overall muscle tone. And as a bonus, jumping rope burns over 1000 calories and hour! Crossrope is a fun workout that fits your busy schedule. Order a weighted jump ropes and then download the Crossrope app. I like that these workouts are quick and portable. Sign up for Crossrope here.
- Band Workout. Instead of cluttering up your house with freeweights, order this $12 set of resistance bands from Amazon. This band set can be used for Yoga, Pilates, and I especially like them for strength and stretching. Google workouts on YouTube and you'll be started in no time. I like the Fitness Blender series.
Try this Fitness Blender Band Workout
Momtrends Plank Demo
Fitness 101: Time to perfect your plank. Most people do the plank exercise wrong, all wrong. This quick fitness video will show you the right way to build a strong core. Follow along with this plank tutorial for abs and you'll be getting stronger and leaner.
MORE SKI FEATURES FROM MOMTRENDS
- 7 Ways to prepare your family for ski season during COVID
- Luxury mountain life at Powder Mountain Utah
- Reasons Big Sky Montana is Becoming More Popular as a Ski Destination
Use Pinterest to save your favorite family travel features. Be sure to follow our Ski Moms Pinterest Board.
This is not a sponsored post. Many of the links are affiliate links that give Momtrends a portion of the revenue. Using our links helps support our editorial.