Steamboat is an incredible place for a family vacation and it's not just because of the snow--the town of Steamboat Springs offers foodies an incredible array of options. We've got ideas that are perfect for families and a few that are better for date night for mom and dad. Check out our picks and let me know YOU'RE favorites so we can add them to the list.
Related: Ski Steamboat for family fun
On Mountain Dining at Steamboat
One of the many things to love about the Steamboat experience is the awesome base area. There are dozens of restaurants and bars to enjoy before or after your ski day.
- Paramount: This spot is perfect for breakfast or lunch. Get a smoothie packed with goodness or a perfect espresso. I also loved the hearty salmon bowl--smoked salmon on a huge bed of greens. We found the burrito bowl a little bland, but the setting is cool and the staff is very friendly. Located right at the base near the beginner's meeting area. 1865 Ski Time Square Dr, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. (970) 879-1170
- Truffle Pig: Located right in the base area, this is a food-forward spot with a terrific bar tender. The gentleman behind the bar made a custom mocktail for my teenage daughter to start. It was sophisticated and delicious. As for the food, that's stellar too. We started with a burrata salad and then split a perfect vegetable ravioli dish. For dessert we enjoyed a stacked high key lime pie--delish and worth the splurge! One Steamboat Place, 2250 Apres Ski Way, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 879-7470.
Recommendations from Ski Mom Friends
I haven't tried these, but they come well-reviewed from ski-mom friends.
- Timber and Torch: Base of the mountain, good food and drinks, live music apres ski 4-5:30pm
- Ragnar: Mid-mountain for a sit down lunch while skiing. Book on OpenTable. Ragnar’s is one of Steamboat’s finest on-mountain restaurants, featuring pastas, seafood, game, and beef specials.
- Rendezvous lodge: the ramen is on point. This mid-mountain dining facility is conveniently located halfway down High Noon, perfect for staying on the “sunny side” of the mountain and enjoying a tasty lunch.
- Los Locos: At the base area. Various tacos & other Mexican staples doled out in a cool, industrial setting with an upbeat vibe.
Steamboat Springs Restaurant Picks
I was lucky to land on two great dinners in the Steamboat Springs area. To get there, our hotel, the Steamboat Grand, provides a shuttle, there is also public transportation. If you plan to drive, parking is plentiful. For these popular spots, definitely make a reservation.
Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Peaches
Small decisions add up when it comes to your health. Opting for a healthy dessert that skips the whipped cream in favor of rich, delicious Athenos Greek yogurt is a big start. We picked this recipe to share this week since it delivers big, satisfying flavor without tons of ...read more
Low Sugar Banana Muffins
Sharing recipes and healthy meal solutions for our kids is one of our Momtrends' missions. This week we're featuring a Low Calorie Banana Muffin recipe that's ideal for tucking into lunch boxes or for an after school treat. Related: Throw a pancake party Why Bananas? Here are ...read more
Family Ski Trip to Gunstock Mountain in New Hampshire
My journeys to ski New Hampshire started almost a decade ago. When I had a young ski racer, she qualified for a regional championship race at a mountain called Gunstock. It sounded exotic and steep! We were used to our tiny little hill in Connecticut and then skiing the powder ...read more
- Besame: This was my favorite meal of the trip. We started with non-alcohol mojitos and they were divine! Next up were small plates which included the Cuban bread--perfectly toasted with with a fiery tomato dipping sauce. Then expertly roasted jalepenos. You can stick to shareable small plates or move onto the larger portions. We opted for tacos and the sublime fried rice. They call it refined Latin-fusion fare, I call it awesome--book ahead--this is a popular spot. Box 883427, 818 Lincoln Ave, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 761-2561
- Primrose: This spot is a new addition to the food scene in Steamboat. It's fun laid-back spot with an open kitchen and huge bar. The staff is friendly and fun--they won't be shy on sharing opinions. I started with a drink called 6 O'Clock somewhere, it was sophisticated but also playful. I also loved my hamachi crudo appetizer. There's also a nice wine list. 1110 Yampa St Suite 100, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 761-2860.
More mom-recommended spots to eat in Steamboat Springs
I haven't been to these, but they have been crowd-sourced by our ski mom community on Facebook.
- Salt and Lime: Upbeat Mexican hangout with a rooftop patio serving classic eats with beer, cocktails & tequila. This is the spot to get the most amazing tacos (try the cauliflower one). The drinks are delish too! 628 Lincoln Ave, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 871-6277.
- Mambo Italiano: Snug, relaxed eatery providing housemade pastas & seasonal Italian dishes, plus a bar & patio. Perfect for the family. 521 Lincoln Ave, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 870-0500.
- Cafe Diva: Hearty New American dining, with some game & vegetarian options, in a relaxed yet elegant space. 1855 Ski Time Square Dr, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 871-0508.
- 8th Street Steakhouse: Guests choose & grill their own steaks & seafood at this roomy, Western-style venue with a full bar. 50 8th St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 879-3131.
- Creekside Cafe: Great breakfast and brunch, anything from hearty to light, farm fresh, local ingredients. 131 11th St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 879-4925
- Back Door Grill: Great salads, burgers, sandwiches. Casual, funky eatery serving classic & creative burgers, hand-cut fries, beer & more. 825 Oak St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
- Sauvage: For a special out of this world dinner. 910 Yampa St #104, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 761-3737.
- Taco Cabo: On the river Mexican food joint that has awesome breakfast burritos. 729 Yampa St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. (970) 846-2307
- Aurum: Favorite for a higher end dinner. 811 Yampa St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487. Book on OpenTable or call (970) 879-9500
More Foodie Fun in Steamboat
- Specialized Delivery Service: For those of you going to Steamboat and are too exhausted to eat out we LOVE this service! This is a delivery service. Service charges are already included in pricing. Check it out here www.sbdmenus.com
- Soda Fountain: Visit the soda fountain at Lyon's Corner Drug in the downtown area. 840 Lincoln Ave, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
- Off the Beaten Path Bookstore and Café: A wonderful independent book store with an in-store cafe. 68 9th St, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
- Big Iron Coffee Shop: The best kombucha bar. 635 Lincoln Ave suite c, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
MORE FUN IN THE MOUNTAINS
Use Pinterest to save your favorite family travel features. Be sure to follow our Ski Moms Pinterest Board.