Before you book your family ski trip this season be sure to read the dozens of resort reviews we've done at Momtrends. My family is lucky to have skied at more than 50 North American destinations. We got the chance to test out the slopes at Breckenridge last year and have worked with the mountain to provide tips for skiing at Breckenridge with your family.
This year Breckenridge celebrates its 60th anniversary. During our visit, we headed west for the record-setting snow season and stayed at the newly opened luxurious One Ski Hill Place, We checked out this new RockResort and gave it a rave review. It's a great way to start a holiday to lodge in accommodations befitting rock stars.
A kids ski experience that can't be beat
While the lodging options are awesome, Breckenridge is also investing in the little ones. If you want to teach your kids to ski or build on their skills, you should consider this resort. And for families with experiences, there is so much terrain it's insane.
We can't say enough about the ski school. Kids 3 - 13 head to the Mountains of Discovery Program that teaches the fundamentals of traditional ski and ride school while building a sense of passion for the sport. And no tot is too small for Breck. At Breckenridge, the child care will accommodate kids as young as two months.
Breckenridge offers two kinds of lessons a quad squad lesson, which is set up with one instructor and a maximum of four kids. This lesson can be any level and can be for ages 4 to 6 or 7 to 14. The quad squad has become more popular over the years because of the smaller group size, the kids and instructor eat lunch on the mountain in one of our dining facilities, and we also offer extra activities throughout the day. For example, meeting the avalanche dogs, having a photo shoot while skiing and learning about lifts.
We also offer our normal group lesson for 3 year olds, ages 4 to 6, and ages 7 to 14. We try to max our classes for 3 year olds at 4 kids, for 4 to 6 year olds at 6 kids, and for 7 to 14 year olds at 8 kids. I think that if a family is looking to get the most bang for their buck, the quad squad lesson is going to be the best choice. They will be in smaller group sizes and the bonus activities make it a super fun experience for the kids.
Get the Most Out Of Your Group Lesson
- Come prepared for all types of weather. Bring gloves, goggles, face mask, long underwear, and a waterproof coat and pants. There’s nothing worse than being cold during your lesson.
- Listen to your instructor and the instructions they give you.
- Keep trying even if you fall. Falling down is a part of learning.
- Introduce yourself to other students and make some ski school friends!
Expert Instruction for Your Family
Breckenridge Peak 8 Kids Ski School Supervisor Lexi Dolan grew up skiing between Aspen, CO and Kirkwood, CA. She learned to ski with Aspen/Snowmass ski school at age 3 and progressed through lessons until she was 14. Dolan believes that children learn better and faster while having someone who is not a family member teach them. She says, "We see children that come to Ski and Ride School who have been over-terrained and over-leveled by parents."
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Women’s Ski World Cup Returns to Killington 2021
In our house, we celebrate the arrival of winter, and we love girls who ski fast! I'm so excited that World Cup skiing is returning to the East Coast. Killington 2021 Women’s Ski World Cup Tickets are on sale now. We attended the races two years ago and the experience was ...read more
Opening Days for Colorado Ski Resorts
Today I put the snow tires back on my SUV, and that means ski season is coming. In fact, I can see snow at the top of Lincoln Peak here in Sugarbush. And there's more news, out West, they are already open at A-Basin. Here's the scoop on openings as you start to plan your ski ...read more
According to Dolan, the Breckenridge Ski School are taught how to properly level children and match them on appropriate terrain. It helps keep a more positive learning environment and keeps the confidence levels higher.
Top three reasons to book a kids group lesson
- Ski school is a great opportunity for kids to learn to ski in a group environment rather than just with mom and dad.
- Children will learn from instructors who have gone through training and certifications to teach skiing specifically to children.
- Ski & Snowboard School has a large focus on safety and our instructors are trained to choose the correct task on appropriate terrain, keeping kids safe throughout the whole lesson.
On Mountain Improvements
At Breckenridge, the company plans to install a new four-person, high-speed lift to serve the popular Peak 7 area called the Freedom SuperChair. This additional lift will increase uphill capacity and improve access for the intermediate terrain on Peaks 6 and 7. The lift will drop guests off just above the Pioneer Crossing restaurant.
Breckenridge Lodging Options
- One Ski Hill Place is the luxury mom (and family) deserve when skiing. The condominiums opened last summer and this is the first winter they were opened for ski vacations. Find our more here One Ski Hill Breckenridge.
- Residence Inn: About 2 hours from the Denver airport, the new Residence Inn (owned by Marriott) is incredibly convenient to downtown Denver and to the slopes. Tucked at the end of town, the Residence Inn boasts prime access to everything a family can desire. Find our more here Residence Inn Breckenridge.
More Things to See and Do in Breckenridge
Families always enjoy some of the special festivals at Breckenridge.
- Ullr Fest (Dec 8--Dec 17, 2021). Story has it the Norse winter god, Ullr was pleased with Colorado's snow. The local's decided on this story and built a festival around it. There are snowshoe and Nordic skiing events, the crowning of the King and Queen of Ullr, and a free ice-skating party at the indoor arena.
- International Snow Sculpture Championships (January 22-24, 2022) is a world renowned snow sculpting competition where 16 teams from around the world descend on Breckenridge, Colorado to hand-carve 20-ton blocks of snow into enormous, intricate works of art. Get more details Gobreck.com
- Spring Fever Festival in April.
MORE FUN IN THE MOUNTAINS
- Easiest ski and snowboard lease for families
- How to Get Your Child Involved in Ski Racing
- Family ski trip to Solitude Mountain
Use Pinterest to save your favorite family travel features. Be sure to follow our Ski Moms Pinterest Board.