Guest Post by Roger Lohr*
Looking for an alternative to the annual girls' weekend at the spa? Why not try an active, outdoor getaway with your girlfriends this winter. Among some women, the "Girls' Getaway" weekend or program has become an annual tradition where small or extended groups of women, ladies, girls, mothers, daughters, or friends organize a get together unaccompanied by (one might even say unburdened by) or exclusive of men, boys, brothers, and fathers. The motivation and/or common denominator is about connecting.
A girls' weekend might include recreating or relaxing together, enjoying good food and libations, and a host of other activities that provide the backdrop for engagement and lasting memories. XCSkiResorts.com produced this list of women's programs for a past winter ranging from once-a-week group outings to week-long all inclusive packages but it is important to contact a given ski area to find out if the program is still ongoing, and the schedule and pricing.
The Best Ski Socks for Women
Warm feet make the ski day so much more fun. Investing in good ski socks can improve your time on snow. We're sharing our picks for the best ski socks for women. Decide on the thickness and compression you need and then stock up. The 10 Best Ski Socks for Women Check out our ...read more
10 Things to Do on Your Okemo Ski Vacation
This popular East Coast ski resort has been helping families create snowy fun with families for decades. A few years ago Vail Resorts bought the property and has continues to invest in the family-friendly fun. They focus on getting kids and outdoors - because ski moms know the ...read more
Plan a Family King Pine Ski Vacation
Some of my favorite travel memories involve being outdoors in the snow with my girls. We have the best time on the lifts telling stories and plotting our perfect runs (and the perfect hot cocoa break). I work hard to carve out vacation time with the kids--time to connect and make ...read more
Cross Country Ski Events in the EAST
- Lapland Ladies Love to Ski is an instructional cross country ski program that runs 3 times a winter and has been ongoing for about 10 years. It is designed for women and taught by women at Lapland Lake XC Ski & Vacation Center in Northville, NY. Female participants, who are beginner or intermediate level skiers, register for the program for a one-time activity or for all 3 outings. They are grouped to learn and practice ski techniques and they all have lunch together followed by a presentation about cross country ski equipment, clothing, and other topics. After lunch the group is self-divided into smaller groups for a social ski tour out in different directions on the trails and then back in the lodge for a hot beverage and a chocolate goodie at the end of the day. Classic skiing on Feb 9; Skate skiing on Mar 9. The $50 price includes the trail pass, lunch, and discount coupons to use in the ski shop.
- Ladies Night at Byrncliff Golf Resort & Banquets in Varysburg, NY offers half price on Thursdays for the trail pass for XC skiing or snowshoeing.
- At JacksonXC in NH’s White Mountains there is the NENSA Women’s XC Ski Day on Jan 22, 2023 with XC ski instruction, equipment demo, lunch, prizes and wrap up party.
- Great Glen Trails Outdoor Center in Gorham, NH has the Women's Winter Escape is on Jan 14, 2023 from 8:30 - 4:30 for an all-women’s weekend with classic and skate ski clinics, naturalist-led snowshoe tours, yoga, equipment demo, snow tubing, and more.
- Rangeley Lakes Outdoor Center in ME has Ladies Day on Mondays with a half price trail pass and a FREE cup of soup.
Cross Country Ski Events in the Central Region
- Maplelag Resort in Callaway, MN has hosted the Women's Ski & Be Yoga Retreat, which included getting outdoors in nature for cross country skiing and snowshoeing, healthy meals, and massage in the past...but a fire in October 2022 destroyed the Maplelag lodge. The trails are still open for skiing. A number of girls' getaways at Maplelag are organized by patrons, who have visited the resort with their families and then return another time with other women to enjoy a variety of activities such as quilting, knitting, book discussions, board games, and so on. Check their website for the status of any programs.
- The Cross Country Ski Headquarters in Roscommon, MI has a free beginner ski clinic on Saturdays at 10:30 which would make a great experience for first time XC skiers. Great trails, great food, great folks.
- Timber Ridge Nordic Center in Traverse City, MI has She-Ski a Wednesday Ladies Night with cross country skiing or snowshoeing.
- Lutsen Resort in MN has the Girlfriends Getaway Package for anytime of year with a bottle of champagne, breakfast, dinner, a spa treatment, guided tour with complimentary XC ski or snowshoe gear (or hiking, biking, or sea kayaking in the warmer months) and galleries and shopping in nearby Grand Marais.
Cross Country Ski Events in the West and Mountain Regions
- Devils Thumb Ranch Resort in Tabernash, CO hosts the Full Moon Ski Tour for a guided outing under the stars on January 7, February 4 and March 4 for lodging guests and experienced XC skiers only.
- The Vista Verde Ranch in Steamboat, CO has the Share & Save (starts at $335 per night with a 3 night minimum) program offer during certain times in the season. There are three meals a day, cross country ski instruction, guided backcountry ski tours, equipment to use, cooking classes, wine tasting, sleigh rides, horseback riding, photography workshops, and evening entertainment. Such a package includes transportation from the airport to the resort and there are many extras offered to extend the memories such as dogsledding, alpine skiing, massage, and premium wines at an additional price.
- Women's Skate Clinics at Frisco Nordic Center, Frisco, CO has two levels in a set of 4 two-hour classes. Mondays are for beginners and there are clinics for intermediate skate skiers on Thursdays. Check the Frisco site for specifics on schedule and prices.
One multi-year women's weekend participant jokingly cited "verbal profuseness" as the prime characteristic of her getaway experience with female friends. Such getaways may have a distinct purpose such as high performance fitness exercise or healthy wellness activities or they could incorporate different themes, but it is the composition of the group, which determines the vibe for the weekend. Check the XCSkiResorts.com Product News Page for info about Nordic ski equipment for women.
Roger Lohr is the Founder and Editor of XCSkiResorts.com. He loves skiing on XC ski trails, telemarking and snowboarding in powder.
Momtrends was not paid for this post