I hate going to the gym or exercising on an empty stomach. It is not only an awful feeling as your stomach grumbles on the treadmill but feeling exhausted with no energy is not a great way to start a workout. Eating small meals or snacks before you exercise will not only give you more energy but they can increase your performance and get your body into optimal fat burning mode. Here are some of our favorites:
6 Workout Snack Ideas
1.Whole-wheat English muffin with low sugar jam '?? The days of restricting carbs are thankfully long gone and there'??s good reason since grains that are high in fiber have a low glycemic index that you make you full and give you fuel. Before a workout, a whole grain food like an English muffin with something sweet will satisfy and not leave you sluggish.
2. Protein fruit smoothie -- A great way to get a dose of protein and various fruits, a fruit smoothie with berries and/or vegetables and a protein powder will keep you full and ready to tackle a rigorous workout. Check out our smoothie recipes for ideas.
3. Non-fat Greek yogurt such as FAGE with fresh berries and slivered almonds Greek yogurt one of my favorite ways to get protein (23 grams in one serving) and dairy. Top it off with some high-fiber berries and slivered almonds before the gym for an invigorating workout.
Best Anti-Aging Hair Care Products
I have always had a thick mane of wild, wavy hair. It bugged me when I was younger because I forever tried to tame it into a blowout on my own instead of owning my waves. I typically save blowouts for the professionals now and go with my natural texture at home, haha! That being ...read more
21 Perfect Summer Cocktails
Summer is HERE! Cheers to that! We are embracing the relaxed atmosphere that Summer brings. Mamas, let down your hair and enjoy the little things in life, like cocktail umbrellas and margarita salt. To help get you in the mood for summer relaxation we've done some research and ...read more
Home Chef Pork Buying Basics
Nothing offers the smoker more versatility than the humble pig. Every cut off the pig is smoker friendly, and delivers a different delicious flavor to suit every taste. In his new book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Smoking Foods, Chef Ted Reader breaks down the different cuts of ...read more
4. Handful of almonds An excellent source of vitamin E and protein, almonds have a way of calming hunger and powering your workout. Although its higher in monounsaturated, this is the healthy kind that
5. Small bowl of cereal (like All-Bran) with skim milk Cereal is a great quick meal but be careful of the high-sugar varieties (anything over 10 grams of should be avoided) that will zap your much-needed energy.
6. Hummus and raw veggies Great for a mid-afternoon pre-workout snack, hummus, made from garbanzo beans, is packed with fiber and protein to sustain your hunger. Pair it with some carrots, peppers or raw broccoli for a hearty dose of nutrients and fiber.
Easy Hummus Recipe
Momtrends was not paid for this post.