Did you know that parents (on average) spend $428 on back-to-school shopping! To save money many parents have been shopping resale. To help us understand the dos and don’ts of resale shopping we learned some tips from Children’s Orchard on how to buy second-hand items that are properly inspected and safe for kids all while getting the most bang for your buck.
The Dos and Don’ts of Back-to-School Upscale Resale Shopping
- DO Inspect: When shopping at thrift or consignment stores, make sure you inspect clothing for holes and stains. Upscale resale stores are very selective about the products they take in and will typically use a special light to check clothing for imperfections.
- DON’T Overlook Deals: Despite already deeply discounted prices, resale and consignment stores often hold generous promotions during the summer season. For example, Children’s Orchard locations will host a Dress For Less back to school sale onAugust 16 – August 18, 2013, where shoppers can get name brands for less! These will include Gap jeans for $6.99, Ralph Lauren polo shirts for $4.99, Baby Lulu dresses for $7.99 and many more.
- DO Check for Recalled Items: Talk to the seller about how they stay up-to-date on recalls. You can also look up recalled items on the Consumer Product and Safety Commission (CPSC) website: www.cspsc.gov/en/Recalls.
- DON’T Forget about Selling! Some stores will actually give you cash for your kids’ gently-used clothing, toys, furniture, and accessories. Call ahead for information on what your local resale store is buying.
- DO Consider Current Styles: Bring a recent department store catalog with you as you shop to compare items to the latest fashions.
Fun Ways to Discover Venice Italy with Your Family
Greetings from Italy wear the gelato is rich, the clothes divine and the scenery is inspiring. Now that I've been to this fine city in the north of Italy, twice, I've amassed a list of favorites to share. These are some fun ways to discover Venice, Italy with your family. ...read more
Best of Northern Italy Villa Cipriani Luxury Resort Review
Italy is a country that just keeps surprising and delighting me. After visiting the larger cities and making a few trips south to Sicily, Mr. Momtrends and I ventured to the northern part of the country on our last trip. Our home base was the delightful Villa Cipriani. This ...read more
Here's What No One Tells You About Olive Oil
produce is at its absolute PEAK right now. It's the time to prepare fresh veggies and fruit with ease and simplicity. When it comes to cooking, the farmer's market is my muse. As I prepare some of my summer harvest favorites, I'm sharing a little secret, what you put ON the ...read more
EXAMPLES OF DEALS FOUND AT CHILDREN’S ORCHARD:
- Boutique Brands - IKKS, Heart Strings, Luck Brand - for 40-80% less than retails stores.
- GAPKIDS, Abercrombie, Tommy Hilfiger Kids separates that cost upwards of $70 at most stores cost closer to $12-$15 at Children’s Orchard.
Tips provided by Children’s Orchard
Momtrends was not paid for this post.