We love a good party, and this holiday season there can be so many that it can be tough to get through them all. To help us out, we enlisted tips from Executive Career Coach Karen Elizaga, a credible resource on the corporate landscape and job market, on how to navigating this years company holiday party.
When it comes to corporate holiday party etiquette and making the most of a work event, Karen admits that appropriate dress and monitoring alcohol intake are both extremely important, but believes that corporate holiday events offer an opportunity to connect with colleagues and create new professional opportunities.
Check out Karen's tips to effortlessly navigate any party this holiday season.
- Eat Before You Get ThereEntering the party without a growling stomach, allows you to focus your energy and connect with others.
- Talk To Someone NewStep outside your comfort level and get to know the people around youLiterally. Take advantage of upstream, sideways, and downstream relationship building.
- Talking PointsHave some interesting opening lines or stories prepared to strike up conversations.
- The Perfect HandshakeCarry your glass or plate of food in your left hand. This allows you to extend your free, dry right hand to someone for a solid, connected handshake.
- Stand Tall With Positive EnergyYou want your body language to make you seem open to new conversations and connections with people.
- Dont Eat All The Shrimp! Holiday parties are not just a big reward --- dont forget you are WORKING. Gobbling all the fancy food because you feel the company owes you wont win you points with the boss.
- Go Easy on the Martinis These are co-workers, not your girlfriends. Partying like a rock star could raise eyebrows and hurt your career. Take it easy, tiger.
- Have Fun! Being hyper-focused on networking might make you seem overly anxious, which impedes the natural connection.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.