As temperatures nationwide begin to heat up and Memorial Day approaches, we are all so excited for long days at the beach, pool parties and fun trips to the lake. While we love this time of year, we also can't forget about swimming safety - especially since drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages one to 14, according to the American Red Cross.
To increase awareness about the importance of learning to swim,Swimways, a leading manufacturer of pool and outdoor recreational products, is encouraging communities and families nationwide to celebrate National Learn to Swim Day on Saturday, May 18. Check out some of their fun and educational ways to promote safe swimming.
- Enroll your kids in swim lessons at a local YMCA, Boys & Girls Club or other local swim club.
- Visit a community pool as a family – and remember to pack a picnic.
- Lifeguards are unsung heroes. Take a few minutes to tell your local lifeguard how much you appreciate them.
- Host a group swimming lesson at a local pool.
- Check out smart pool safety tips in our Resources section.
- Have a pool? Invite a few friends over for a synchronized swimming competition.
- Encourage kids with downloadable rewards and swim progress charts.
- Still too cold to swim outside? Grab a float and a swimsuit and practice some silly splashes in the bathtub.
- Take a CPR or First Aid class.
- Visit a local library and check out a book about famous Olympic swimmers.
- Talk to your children about water safety.
- Start your own Learn-to-Swim Celebration. Contact your local pool, waterpark or community center and help organize a fun event.
Keeping your New Year's resolutions
The New Year is off to a fresh start, and many of us are committed to doing something or many things with more intention this year. But it's tough to stay on track. In fact, “Quitters Day”, which falls on January 14th this year, is the day when most people give up. How can you ...read more
Kids in the Kitchen: Mini Banana Waffle Pies With Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
School has started back for many (us included!), and today's Kid's in the Kitchen recipe makes for a perfect breakfast or after-school snack. We made ours for an after-school snack the other day and my second grader loved it. We call this recipe Mini Banana Waffle Pies With ...read more
The Best Overnight French Toast Recipe
We've hit the winter lull--that lengthy stretch of season with no plans, no parties, nothing to do, and nowhere to go. I have to admit that at first, I welcomed the quiet obligation-free weekends of January. After the nonstop hustle-bustle pace of November and December, my family ...read more
Momtrends was not paid for this post.