Going to the green market this weekend? Why not buy some extra produce and try your hand at whippingup some homemade baby food. It's easier than you think.
I spoke with the experts at Ball's and have some step-by-step tips:
- Wash, chop and cook fresh veggies (steaming veggies until tender) is or fruits.
- Blend cooked veggies and fruits in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Ladle the puree into freezer safe jars. Be sure to leave 1/2" head space between the top of the food and the rim of the jar (food expands when frozen).
- Run a thin spatula inside the jar to remove air bubbles--you may be able to fill in slightly more puree at this point.
- Apply cap to jar and label with food name and date.
Easier than you thought right? Ball's got two great options for storage the JARDEN HOME BRANDS #80400 Ball 12PK 4OZ Jelly Jar(old school and great for the environment) and the 8 oz Ball Plastic Freezer Jars.
No time to spare? Well, at least you can jazz up baby's meal with a fun dining set (plate, cup, fork, spoon and place mat) from Sugar Booger. Sets themes include: outer space, pirates, princesses and more. The Chocolate Cake Club website has an excellent assortment. $26.95