‘Tis the season for giving…and returning. According to a recent survey by digital offers destination RetailMeNot, 32% shoppers say they typically return at least some presents they receive from family and friends. While this is a decline from 2013 when close to half (45%) of shoppers admitted to making gift returns, there are still a few things all consumers should know when it comes to returning items.
Check out these helpful tips from Trae Bodge, senior lifestyle editor at RetailMeNot:
- Handle with care:The more pristine an item looks when you return it, the better your returning experience will be. Keep all tags on and save all boxes – essentially, the easier it will be for the store to put the item back on the shelf, the better
- Know the store policy: It’s safe to assume that if you’re returning in-store within 15 days (or 30 days in many cases) and you have a receipt, that you will receive the full purchase price back. But, if you are beyond 15 days and/or do not have a receipt, it’s worth familiarizing yourself with the return policy of the store so you know what to expect when you get there.
- Note: In 2013, some stores, like Best Buy, Sears and Toys R Us changed their policies around the holidays – more restrictions, smaller window for returning, etc.
- Be prepared:
o Even if you have a gift receipt, many stores prefer to give a store credit/gift card rather than give you cash or apply a credit your charge card.
Mom Picks for Best Modern Wooden Play Gyms
Let's be honest: Most baby gyms look like a primary color explosion of yikesness. And yes, I owned one and found it an absolute lifesaver at that bewitching hour when every child under 1 starts crying right when you need to be cooking dinner. But whenever company arrived, I would ...read more
Inspiration and Games for a Candy Land Birthday Party
The girls had their hearts set in a colorful candy party inspired by the Candy Land board game. This party was such a blast to put together. A rainbow of colors, candy bar, and candy games! Candy Land Birthday Party Food and Drink Our party was in the afternoon, so for food we ...read more
Five Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Patch Visit
It's that time of the year again...pumpkin patch time! While I love a nice Pumpkin Spice Latte as much as the next fall lovin' girl...for me, the season is all about spending time with my family...and hopefully that time is spent outside as much as possible. If you're headed out ...read more
o If you don't have a receipt, you will most likely be given a store credit/gift card, and depending on the store, you might only receive the current price of the item you are returning. Post-Christmas, that could be the clearance price.
o If you have a receipt but are beyond a store’s preferred window to return, you may only receive the current price.
- Returning online: Most sites have policies that offer a full refund within 30 days or so, but be mindful of the policies regarding return shipping. While some sites will send you a pre-printed return label, a return shipping fee will be automatically be deducted from your return. Other sites ask the consumer to pay and arrange for their own return shipping. A few of Trae’s favorite online retailers with great return policies can be found here.
- Last resort: If you can’t get a good deal on your return, consider re-gifting! Remember, one person's eyesore is another person's Picasso.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.