With our third baby on the way in four weeks or less, I can honestly say that the nesting instinct has kicked-in!
Since we decided to be surprised about the gender of the baby, we had some new challenges in creating a gender-neutral nursery. As the first time creating this type of nursery (I found out the gender of my two daughters), it was fun to locate items that were based on functionality and form, and less on color and characters.
We started by clearing out the girls' playroom, with thanks to family, helped us to donate, purge and consolidate our stuff that transformed into a functional and sweet nursery that I am really excited about. Here are some staples that we filled in this beautiful new room.
1. The Crib: The staple of this room is the beautiful crib from Numi Numi Design. As one our Momtrends Must Haves, this American-made company believes that their furniture should be "sensory-rich, comfortable, wellorganized, environmentally friendly, modern, and most importantly —encourage curiousity." This is evident in their gorgeous collection of cribs, including innovative and modern styles like Funky Forest and the one we have our nursery, the Wired Crib. As someone that isn't great with putting furniture together, I really appreciated their detailed and specific directions that didn't include that many steps. What resulted is a piece that is inspired by the city, the subway, and the space in between the skyscrapers that showcase everything that is NYC. In addition to the amazing design, I also love that the crib is made of highly durable NAUF (No Added Urea Formaldehyde) bamboo with finishes that are non-toxic.
2. Bedding: For the bedding, I opted for the fun and organic bedding options from Babee Talk. Also, a top choice for our Ultimate Baby Shower, we love the stylish and chic Complete Bedding Set in yellow. This lovely set features a super soft organic cotton shell with no chemical flame retardants. This includes a yellow-striped collection that is made with low-impact and non-toxic dyes that is super comfortable and gentle on a baby's skin. The look is also chic and modern with its all-in-one set of a crib rail cover, crib sheet, crib skirt and the super cute Eco-Buds Take-Along Pals (Caterpillar and Bee).
Another bedding favorite is the collection of modern and chic sheets from Babyletto. Featuring beautiful designs, we love the In Bloom Fitted Sheets, a collection of red and blue stars and the cute Galaxy Sheet with its collection of robots and planets.
Another part of our bedding is the sweet handmade blanket from STURE & FOLKE, a collection of kids and baby blankets that are made from Switzerland. These high-quality and unique blankets are stunning where we are loving the Elephant Grey Zoo theme. Made with soft velvet and linen and filled with polyester, we love the elegant touches of the gorgeous ribbons and the sweet accents that your baby, and later toddler will love to snuggle up with.
3. Mattress: As for the mattress, I used my younger daughters' Colgate Mattress from her toddler bed (she is now in a bunk bed). As a part of the Nuzzle Snuze line, this super comfortable crib mattress does not contain foam, coir, coils or any of the traditional components; but rather it features the revolutionary AirWeave, a spun matrix of totally recyclable, synthetic fibers that allows air to flow through their unique core to produce the most perfect microclimate for sleep and comfort. Unlike any other crib mattress available, the Nuzzle Snuze Line comes in a variety of unique designs in muted, fashion-forward colors. We also love how these unisex mattress designs provide an eye-catching gift for baby showers, as they complement the European, modern influence of AirWeave.
4. Decor: We wanted to keep the decor modern, yet classic where we opted for the Wee Alphas Print (check out our past review here). We love this colorful collection of characters that gives the room some personality and charm with fun characters like Alexander the Angelfish, Biki the Buffalo, and more with the hidden alphabet.
We also added is the sweet canvas picture, ABC Love by InJoy Artistry. Specializing in personalized canvas art for children that printed on canvas with museum quality imaging techniques, we love how this adds a playful and colorful look to the nursery with its vibrant yellow and blue tones. This piece can be personalized or left as is for a piece that your kids will treasure for years to come.
Another fun part of our decor was a selection of crafts that we made from P.S. XO, Soleil Moon Frye's new "Party in a Box" concept. Using the celebrate: evening sunshine party theme kit, we used the collection of grey and white flags, twine and burlap to make this sweet banner. This fun kit allows you to have all of the crafts and party ideas you need in one box - making them great for baby showers, events and birthday parties.
With night feedings, we also wanted to make sure that we had a dimmer light where we opted for the chic and fun Emily + Merritt Brass Bunny Lamp from Pottery Barn Teen. Featuring a whimsical details, this cute and stylish bunny lamp was designed exclusively for PBteen by celebrity stylists and fashion designers Emily Current and Meritt Elliott. I love the fun antique brass and denim shade that also features a simple on/off switch to make night feedings (a little) easier.
5. Furniture: In keeping with classic and modern style, we opted for a dresser and chair from IKEA. I didn't want to spend a ton on furniture and since I wanted to match the crib I was looking for really specific pieces that didn't look tacky. During a recent trip to IKEA, I loved the Mandal, a four-drawer chest that featured solid wood and white drawers. Not a part of their nursery line, I loved how modern this piece was that can transition beyond the baby years and offers ample storage for onesies and blankets.
Instead of a rocking chair, we opted for the Poang chair that went well with the room. We loved the neutral cream color that matched really well with the dresser.
For the changing table, we are using a hand-me-down and purchased a new changing pad that we covered with the In Bloom Contour Changing Pad Cover from Babyletto. Another unique print for the nursery, we loved how this offered a blend of white French Terry, cotton, and poplin with its cute side print detailing featuring sweet petite blossoms.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.
We were given some items for the purposes of this review. This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking and shopping, you help support Momtrends and allow us to keep reporting on trends