It's Valentine's weekend! While my husband and I don't usually brave the crowds and prix fixe menus to celebrate our love, we do like to make a special meal at home sans kids. For the holiday that's all about demonstrating love, it's easy to go buy something, but here at Momtrends, we'd rather get a little creative and whip up a custom Valentine's Cocktail with bourbon and blood orange.
We'll likely be opening up a nice bottle of wine to go with dinner, but I love starting off the evening with a cocktail and appetizers. This Valentine's Day, I was looking for something new to try - something not too sweet, something that reminds me I'm a wife, not just a mom, but also something special that still says "I'm celebrating Valentine's Day." The perfect match was this Blood Orange + Bourbon cocktail I found at Love & Lemons (if these flavors don't work for you, try this feature).
My husband loves blood oranges and the color is perfect for celebrating V-day. The bourbon and bitters remind me that I'm an adult who doesn't just survive on kid leftovers and reheated coffee.
Valentine's Cocktail with Bourbon and Blood Orange Ingredients (makes 1)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 3-5 tablespoons bourbon (depending on how boozy you want it)
- 2-3 drops of Angostura bitters
- splash of sparkling water (optional)
- and if you want to get all fancy - garnish with orange slices or sprigs of mint
Valentine's Cocktail with Bourbon and Blood Orange Directions
- Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice & serve! Or to make it less boozy, skip the shaking and instead add a splash or two of sparkling water or club soda and pour it on the rocks.
Whether you can leisurely enjoy this cocktail before heading out for a kid-less date night or have to sip it quick in the 15 minutes you and the hubs have on the front porch before the kids finish a Dora episode, know that you did something to celebrate with your special someone.
Cheers to your Valentine's Day!
MORE WAYS TO MAKE IT A HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
- 10 Valentine's Day Mailboxes to Craft with Your Kids
- Best Kids Valentine's Day Ideas on Pinterest
- Two sweet kids valentine baskets
Be sure to follow our Valentines board and pin your favorite ideas.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.