Safety Precautions from Tide: Babies and children put everything in their mouth. You turn your head and there is something dangling from their mouth's that otherwise shouldn't be. Recently, there have been reports of children getting a hold of laundry detergent packets (both Tide Pods and other brands with laundry detergent packets) and putting them in their mouth.
To tackle this issue head on, Tide has partnered with the American Cleaning Institute (ACI) to promote instructions on safe handling, usage and disposal of the laundry detergents, and remind the public that cleaning products must be kept out of the reach of young children.
To help parents, they have shared some tips for ensuring best practices when it comes to using and storing laundry detergent properly every day of the year.
Safety Precautions from Tide
- Keep laundry products out of children's reach
- Keep products in their original container, with the label intact
- Immediately put products away in their appropriate storage location after use
- Follow all recommended product instructions, and pay particularly close attention to all Caution, Warning', Danger or Poison statements
- Clean up immediately after any spills that may occur
- Be sure to wash your hands after doing laundry, as well as any utensils you use to dispense measure products
- Aim to take care of laundry and other cleaning chores during your child's downtime (such as naptime), to help ensure your attention is not diverted while using laundry and cleaning products to help avoid unintended exposure
- Follow the recommended product disposal information that is indicated on the label.
- Never use empty detergent containers for storage of any other materials, especially for anything intended for human consumption.
General safety precautions for your home
Following these steps will help to keep your home as safe as possible. Know what to do before unintended exposure happens. Read product safety information provided on the package. Unintended exposure with laundry products usually causes no serious medical effects. If in eye(s), rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice, as needed. If on skin or clothing, remove contaminated clothing and rinse skin well with water. If swallowed, drink a glass of water or milk and contact the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting.
More Safety Tips from Momternds
- Bath Safety Tips
- For more safety tips for raising baby, check out this post on safe sleep.
- Helpful Potty Training Tips
Momtrends was not paid for this post