1 in 5 children face hunger every day. To help drive awareness to the issue and to help solve the problem, Unilever launched Project Sunlight in November 2013. Unilever Project Sunlight embodies the consumer product company’s global mission that encourages people to take small steps that make a big difference toward building a brighter future for children. The initiative is made up of a growing community of people who believe in a world where everyone has enough food to eat and no child goes to bed hungry.
The Momtrends team is blessed to live in abundance when it comes to food. When we hear that an estimated 16 million children under 18 years old live in “food insecure” households which means they don’t know where – or when – their next meal will be, we try to jump in and help the cause.
It's not just bloggers lending a voice to the campaign. Actor and advocate Josh Duhamel led the “Share A Meal” launch in partnership with Feeding America®. Feeding America is the nation’s largest hunger relief organization. Josh says, “As a father, it’s inconceivable to me that the kids I see on the playground, or in my neighborhood, could be from a home that doesn’t have enough food on the table.”
Feeding America serves 12 million children each year. Through Feeding America, Unilever has been able to contribute nearly 30 million meals to families and children (more than 13 million pounds of food and more than $3 million in support) in just five years.
Now here is where YOU get involved. We put together this simple graphic to get you inspired to take part. Why not start by pinning or tweeting this image to get YOUR community inspired with the hashtag #ShareAMeal
Ways to give back:
· Help a Family in Your Neighborhood: Simply sharing a meal with a neighbor either in the form of a simple lunch or dinner party, or even packing an extra lunch for your child to take to school, could go a long way.
· Partner with Local Organizations: Local community organizations are great resources for sharing a meal in your area – simply tap into their networks to see how you can help.
· Coordinate with Your Local Food Bank: Whether you wish to volunteer or host your own local food drive, use Feeding America’s online Food Bank Locator tool to get in touch with a food bank in your area.
· Host a Virtual Food Drive: Feeding America’s Personal Fundraiser tool is a great place to start and to reach out to friends, family, and colleagues for contributions.
· Donate: Consider swapping a night out with a night in and share those extra savings with children and families in need in the form of a donation to Feeding America.
· You Buy One, We Give One: Look for the Unilever “You Buy One, We Give One” coupon offer in the Sunday paper on November 16. Redeem at participating stores from November 16 – 30 and Unilever will donate one meal* to Feeding America when you purchase any participating Unilever product.
· Lend Your Voice: Inspire others by revealing why you’re helping to end child hunger on social media using, “I #ShareAMeal because…”
Here's a sample shopping list to print and share.
To find out more about how you and your family can give help head to ProjectSunlight.us to download the Unilever Share A Meal Toolkit.
Need more inspiration? Award-winning filmmaker and Unilever Bright Future Award recipient, Patrick Creadon, teamed up with Unilever to create four-minute documentary about how Americans are grappling with child hunger in a, “Going to Bed Hungry: The Changing Face of Child Hunger.”
Click here to view the full 4-minute film on YouTube: http://youtu.be/hROIwULP914
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in more than 190 countries.
Click here to find out more www.unileverusa.com
Click here to find out more about Feeding America a nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. feedingamerica.org
Momtrends is being sponsored by Unilever to bring awareness to the issue of hunger in America. All language and opinions are our own.*$1 helps provide 9 meals secured by Feeding America on behalf of local food banks. $0.111 from each qualifying coupon redemption will be donated to Feeding America. Unilever guarantees a minimum donation of $150,000 and a maximum donation of $200,000 from 11/16/14 to 11/30/14 date through the redemption of each coupon. Meal claims valid as of 5/29/14 through 12/31/14. Limit 1 per person, per household.