Here's a shot of me today--makeup free. Not that I wear a ton of makeup from day to day, but a movement from The Beauty Bean called Makeup Free Mondays got me thinking. This group believes "everyone can do a little, and be part of the movement's bigger message which asks women nationwide to think about their real and inner beauty and stop apologizing for not wearing makeup." What do you think? Could you give up makeup for a day? Do you think we are too consumed with beauty and body image?
The movement goes along with a cause. The group is asking women to donate unused makeup to their local Dress for Success or other similar women's organization, and participate via social media to spread the word. Intrigued? Here are a few action steps you can take today:
1. Don'??t wear makeup on Mondays (or use less for those who need to do this in baby steps).
2. Stop apologizing for not wearing makeup, no matter what day of the week it is.
3. Organize official Makeup Free Mondays at your school, place of employment or with your friends.
4. Encourage conversations about real beauty and better body image within your own families and friendships.
5. Share your makeup free photos with The Beauty Bean via Facebook and on Twitter with the hash tag #MakeupFreeMondays.
6. Donate unopened and unexpired makeup to your local women'??s shelter, Dress for Success chapter or similar women'??s program. Though The Beauty Bean focuses on inner beauty, we know that the confidence a polished look can give is something all women deserve.
I'm not sure if I'll take part every Monday, but this movement might just have legs. Especially with moms--since who has time for elaborate beauty routines in the first place.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.