If you've got a little chef, check out the Kinderkitchen junior food tools. We're working on our cutting skills and the Dog Knife($9.95) from the is ideal. The serrated edge is sharp enough to shred lettuce or cut through fruit, but won't slice through tiny fingers.
Kuhn Rikon is the #1 Swiss brand of cookware and tools. That speaks volumes about quality. All the products are kid-tested for safety and utility. The assortment includes crocodile tongs ($6), suck snippers ($18), a Bluebird Spatula ($12) and more. We think this clever line of gadgets will go a long way towards making dinner prep more lively. And for a little sweet inspiration, the Kuhn Rikon site has included a Rainbow Cupcake recipe
* 12 baked cupcakes, any flavor
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
* 4 ounces cream chees, softened
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, if desired
* Assorted food coloring
* 4 small plastic bags
* Electric mixer
* Mixing bowls (medium and small)
* Measuring Cups
1. Prepare cupcakes per package instructions and cool completely.
2. Combine butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar a half cup at a time and almond extract if desired; beat until smooth. Be sure to scrape sides of bowl often with Spatula
3. Divide frosting into 4 small bowls. Add food coloring a drop at a time until desired color is achieved. Spread over cooled cupcakes using Spreader*.
* To easily decorate cupcakes, spoon frosting into small plastic bags. Cut off the corner with Snippers and squeeze out onto cupcakes starting at outer edge and spiraling toward center.
Nuttition information per serving (frosting only):
180 Calories, 11g Total Fat, 6g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 30mg Cholesterol, 80mg Sodium, 20g Carbohydrate, 0g Dietary Fiber, 20g Sugars, 1g Protein