We are all for some romance, but on Valentine's Day romance doesn't come cheap. In fact, according to the NRF Americans are expected to shell out an estimated $17.6 Billion this Valentine's Day. Saving money is also sexy and Momtrends learned some incredible tips from Amy Kniss, eHow.com's Money Editor, on how to celebrate Valentine's Day without spending any money. Check out her tips on how to ditch heart-shaped chocolate (and everything else) this V-Day.
While we adore flowers, if you are on a budget, or just wanting to be creative, these ideas can help put a spark back into your Valentine's Day.
How to Celebrate Valentine's Day Without Spending Money for her
- Leave a note on her pillow, a note on her dressing table mirror, a note on the breakfast table, and a note on her car's steering wheel.
- Find a classic love poem and write it on the bathroom mirror.
- Bring her breakfast in bed - with a love note on the tray.
- Draw a heart on her makeup mirror.
- Use a can of water-soluble, non-toxic aerosol paint to write a message of love on the grass in your yard.
- Call her favorite radio station and request a romantic song during the time she drives to work.
- Change the welcome message on your answering machine to an expression of love.
- Show up at her workplace, meet her as she takes her break, and whisk her away to a lovely park. Have a picnic lunch, complete with candle and rose.
- Write her a long letter, one in which you recall the most emotional parts of your romantic history.
- Print out "I Love You" posters on your computer, put them on your garage door and on light posts around the neighborhood.
- Ask her to watch the sunset with you - and promise her your love will burn longer than the sun.
- Open the windows, put her favorite romantic song on the CD player, and invite her to dance under the stars.
How to Celebrate Valentine's Day Without Spending Money for him
Keep Your Hands and Feet Warm with Canada's Most Loved Handwarmers
For all the folks out there with cold hands and toes, I have a solution that is both effective and sustainable! And, of course, it comes from a mom. Aurora heat is a small brand out of the Northwest Territories of Canada. Using sustainably resourced beaver pelts, they have ...read more
12 Tips for Cutting Down Your Own Christmas Tree
I grew up with a fake Christmas tree. We'd lug it up from the basement--branch by dilapidated branch--every year after Thanksgiving. It wasn't until my husband and I moved into our own house in the 'burbs that we decided to get ourselves a real, live tree. Related: How to make ...read more
Guide to Buying a Christmas Tree
After turkey, it's time to decorate the tree. Although we love adding the pretty lights and gorgeous ornaments, there are numerous things to take into consideration such as how to take care of your tree and understanding where it was sourced. Momtrends recently learned some ...read more
- Put a note on the bathroom mirror promising to share an afternoon delight.
- Fill his car with balloons, each with an "I Love You" message inside.
- Find his car at work and leave a note on the steering wheel suggesting a romantic rendezvous. Meet him with drinks and snacks and a love note.
- Meet him after work wearing your sexiest outfit and tempt him away to lover's lane. Carry along a bottle of sparkling water and a basket of canapes.
- Leave him a series of notes to follow so that you meet in a romantic place.
- Leave a trail of paper hearts, each with a loving message, from the front door to the bedroom for him to find as he comes home from work.
- Cook his favorite dinner and serve it by candlelight.
- Wrap up your prettiest negligee in a fancy package, complete with a note that promises a romantic evening.
- Or decorate your bedroom in a theme - tropical island, old West, ancient castle - that appeals to his interests.
- Light candles in your bedroom and lay out a romantic picnic on your bed.
- Scatter Hershey's Chocolate Kisses all over the bed.
And for the kids, try one of these sweet Valentine's breakfast ideas.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE IT A HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
- 3 Easy Valentine's Cocktails
- Best Kids Valentine's Day Ideas on Pinterest
- Two sweet kids valentine baskets
Be sure to follow our Valentines board and pin your favorite ideas.