A trend I have always been in love with is back with a vengeance: leather! Now I am not talking leather ala 50 Shades of Grey, I am seeing real women donning leather in chic, unexpected and totally sophisticated ways. I am talking leather skirts, jackets, accents and pants! ( I have seen leather shorts as well but somehow I can't wrap my head around those, they just don't scream versatile.)
I have owned my leather skirt for over 15 years now and I have gotten innumerable uses out of it. When choosing a leather piece, you have several things to keep in mind.
How Real Moms Wear Leather
1. Think about how ethically was the leather sourced, and if this concerns you, consider vegan leather (this is NOT the same thing as the material from the 80's called "pleather")!
2. Leather is an investment piece-when cheaply made, it not only looks it, but it will not last and costs a fortune to repair.
3. Consider consignment to cut down on cost, waste and to score some unique vintage pieces.
4. Make sure the fit is right for your shape, body type and know how you plan on wearing it-again, leather is a small fortune to repair, hem, clean.
5. Leather can be work appropriate if the fit is not too tight, the cut not too revealing and the color muted or paired with other monochromatic pieces.
6. Leather accents give edge, style and add interest in even small doses. Above you'll see leather accented waistbands as well as waist defining leather ruching.
7. When wearing leather, let the leather do the talking and keep the rest of your outfit simple.-a favorite look I have seen is black leather pants paired with a casual chambray shirt, tres' adorable!
Here are some of my work appropriate top picks that I think are sophisticated, stylish and will feed your inner rockstar and maybe even turn a few heads.
Ann Taylor Skirt
Visibility Oak Jacket Birch
Black A line Skirt
Camel A line Skirt
Cropped Tuxedo Jacket
Cut 25 Leather Combo Shirt
Anne Klein Color Block Leather Skirt
As party season has arrived, I found these looks that are a bit more daring, flirty and show off a bit more skin. I would choose to tone down the leather a bit by wearing opaque tights, very simple accessories and conservative footwear.
Piperlime:Fringe Vegan Leather Skirt
Lulu's Leather and Lady, Black & Beige Vegan Leather Dress
Free People Cropped Skinny with Vegan Leather Pant
Piperlime: Red Vegan Leather Moto Skinny Jeans
213 Industry Jessica Blocked Skirt
Blank Denim White Vegan Skinny Cropped pant
Free People Midnight Blue Vegan Leather Cropped Jacket
And for those of you that love leather but aren't ready to jump all in, these cute jackets offer enough leather to be cool and on trend without too much of a commitment.
BlankNYC Jacket Vegan Leather and Denim
Crimson Selena Leather Jacket
Bebe Cropped Black Leather Jacket
Quilted Leather Moto
Momtrends was not compensated for this How Real Moms Wear Leather post.