It is no shock that the reign of a new year brings countless resolutions of how to live a better life. Statistics show that losing weight and getting fit are consistently in the top 10 New Year's resolutions for Americans each year. We all see the gym deals and Weight Watchers promotions everywhere we turn. However, according to Time Magazine, 60% of gym memberships go unused and attendance is usually back to normal by mid-February.'
Now is the Time to Detox
So how do you kick off the new year after a holiday fueled with "one more bite" How do you create the right environment for your body to keep up with your resolutions all year long?
The answer: Detox. (And no we are not talking about a juice cleanse!)
Check out some of these great tips from fitness and nutrition expert Amanda Obregon on how to refresh our bodies both through fitness and healthy eating. These tips will not only help you start the New Year off right but maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout the year.
Seven Detox Tips for the New Year
1. Hydrate: Drink water and plenty of fluids to moisturize your skin and body from the inside out. Proper hydration will eliminate toxins and elevate your productivity on a cellular level.
Tip: Try having 2-4 glasses of healthy green tea daily to turn your metabolism and energy up. Divide your weight by half and drink that in ounces- i.e. if you are 150 lbs, 75 ounces is your minimum daily intake.
2. Go Naked- Mother Nature Knows Best! Choose whole, unprocessed foods. If you can't picture it hanging from a branch, sprouting from the ground, swimming, or strolling on mother nature, simply do not eat it.
Tip: Exchange your regular pasta choice with quinoa or brown rice pasta. Great flavor but better for you!
3. Exercise: Resistance training is the fastest way to increase metabolism, regulate blood pressure, increase bone density and release happy hormones. Not to mention, it also gives you the hottest you yet to come. Compound exercises, such as squats, lunges, pull-ups, push-ups, shoulder press, and dead lifts can have you burning calories up to the next 36 hours. That's right- the workout you do today will have you burning calories while you snooze tomorrow. Talk about a return on your investment!
The Best Japanese Beauty Products
I am sure most of you have heard about K-Beauty at this point. A K-Beauty skincare regimen involves numerous steps from cleansing, to toning and various levels of moisturizing. It is involved but yields serious results. With that being said, maybe you can’t commit to a routine ...read more
Stylish Beach Accessories for a Day in the Sun, Sand, and Surf
I've been coveting this Eugenia Kim sun hat that's been all over Instagram for the past two months. With a wide-brim and the words "Do Not Disturb" embroidered on the front, it's the ideal accessory for a quiet day of reading on the beach. Built-in shade, some peaceful privacy, ...read more
How to Get Your Child Involved in Ski Racing
Do you ever watch the Winter Olympics with your family? We sure do at this house. Seeing the ski racers fly down the mountains was a big part of what attracted our girls to ski racing, but the biggest draw was friendship and time spent in the snow. If you are wondering how to get ...read more
Momtrends Tip: Choose 4 exercises and do 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps with a 30-second break in between. Run, bike, or jump rope! Sweat those toxins out and enjoy a stronger, healthier, and sexier you.
4. Quiet Time: Our senses are on high alert all day, every day. Appreciate yourself by making some time to say thank you!
Momtrends Tip: Take 5-15 minutes per day to either meditate or be quiet, preferably right when you wake up or right before going to sleep.
5. Let it Out: Fiber is important to get rid of toxins. Fiber not only helps regulate your body, it is excellent at escorting those unwanted sugars and toxins out of your body.
6. Dream it: Imagine It and Do It! SLEEP!
Momtrends Tip: Make sure to sleep 7-9 hours daily
7. Laugh: Rent a comedy, call your best friend, whatever makes you laugh. It is a great way to detoxify from the day-to-day pressures of life.
MORE DETOXES FROM MOMTRENDS
Be sure to follow our Health & Fitness and board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.