This summer during our three-week adventure from California to Montana, we had a short layover in Park City, Utah at the amazing Montage Deer Valley Resort. The Montage Deer Valley is known for its award-winning ski-in/ski-out access to some of the most well-groomed runs in the nation (It was ranked #1 by SKI magazine the last six years in a row!), but the Montage Deer Valley Resort offers luxurious accommodations, breath-taking views, delicious menus, and family-friendly activities all year long.
Located on top of Empire Pass, our stay at the Montage was entirely too short, and we will definitely be returning. Here are just 8 of the reasons we deemed the Montage Deer Valley Resort THE most family-friendly resort on our trip.
1. A+ for Arrival.Upon our arrival, a hostess met us at the door and welcomed us by name with our reservation folder in hand. After the kids were introduced, a sleigh full of plush local wildlife arrived for their choosing - a welcoming touch to help kids feel at home.The hostess pointed out key hotel locations like the restaurants, pool and concierge before walking us directly to our room.
2. Roomy Rooms.Sometimes traveling with the family means cramming into a small room where you are constantly stepping over suitcases or siblings to get from bed to bathroom. Not so at the Montage Deer Valley. Our room had two queen beds, a living area with chairs and a fireplace, a work desk, walk-in closet and large bathroom.
3. Attention to Detail. During the walk from the front of the hotel to our room, my husband happened to casually ask about mountain biking in the area. Within 20 minutes of our arrival, information about prices, locations and rentals for mountain biking was left outside our door. I have no doubt that if we had mentioned wanting to see local animals, a movie or find a kid-friendly park, similar information would have been delivered.
4. Family Fun at the Pool. Our first stop after any long car drive is always the pool, and the Montage Deer Valley pool did not disappoint. The large infinity pool was capped by a water basketball hoop, as well as having a monstrous hot tub and a life-size chess board.
5. Kid Comforts. Our room had plenty of luxury for adults, but didn't leave the kids out either. Kiddie robes and slippers for each of my three boys were found in the walk-in closet and laid out by the bed after the turn-down service.
6. Eye-level conversations. One of the things that really struck both my husband and I was that the staff got down on the kids' level when talking with them. A small action that had a huge impact on helping my kids feel at ease, listened to, and taken seriously.
7. Dining Designed for Families. The Montage Deer Valley has two main year-round restaurants (others open up seasonally) - Apex for fine dining and Daly's Pub & Rec which is pretty much a playground for kids and adults alike. This family-friendly venue was closed for a private party our one night at the hotel, but I did get a peek inside and the scoop from the staff. Inside, Daly's haspool tables, foosball tables, table shuffleboard, dart boards, four bowling lanes, a selection of old-school arcade games like PacMan and Centipede and Wii's with huge flat screens. In other words, paradise for anyone under the age of 16 as well as many a husband. Plus they serve great family-friendly fare and local beers. (These pics courtesy of Montage Deer Valley.)
8. Knowledgeable, not snooty staff.From the front desk staff to the waitstaff, the employees at the Montage Deer Valley were willing to accommodate our requests, happy to help, and knew enough about the hotel and surrounding area to offer recommendations for restaurants, activities, and outings. At some high-end resorts you can feel the smugness of the staff, but the Montage Deer Valley provided luxury service and accommodations for families without any pretension.
As I said, our stay was less than 24 hours, and so there were still tons of the hotel we weren't able to experience first-hand.Here's what else will be on our to-do list for our next visit.
Daily Activities - There will be no problem keeping the kids busy with the daily activities offered at the Montage including croquet, bocce, frisbee golf, fly-casting lessons and even complimentary archery lessons.
Spa Montage - This is definitely on my must-try on our next visit. I snuck down just to see the Wellness Center and gorgeous indoor Mosaic Pool. It had relaxation written all over it.
Monty & Jonas - Every day at 11am and 3pm, Monty & Jonas, enormous Bermese Mountain dogs and the Montage's resident mascots, stroll through the lobby greeting guests. I know the kids would love this one.
S'mores and hot chocolate at the Vista Terrace fire pits. If the kids hadn't been so pooped from our day of travel, we would have hit this. Next time.
I have no doubt that the Montage Deer Valley Resort is an incredible winter experience, but visiting off-season lets you hike, mountain bike, play and experience all the mountain offers sans snow, explore nearby Park City (the Alpine Slide, Alpine Coaster, zipline and other family activities at the Park City Mountain Resort are a MUST!) and enjoy reduced room rates. I know that we can't wait to return!
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We were provided with a complimentary stay.