I've been reading lots of recipes this month. One new cookbook that caught my eye is titled: Crappy Little Kitchens.The premise: You don't need a big space or fancy equipment to create tasty meals. I love the concept of a pared down approach to meal prep. Dallas chef, Jennifer Schaertl, shares some of her go-to recipes. Many are ideal for entertaining, others are perfect for busy mid-week dinners.
What I loved:
- The little factoids Jennifer tosses in. Did you know artichokes are not really vegetables, but are instead flower buds and members of the sunflower family?
- Make no apologies for your home. Work with what you've got rather than longing for a bigger kitchen and expensive tools.
- The cookbook tackles more adventurous meals such as rabbit.
Keeping your New Year's resolutions
The New Year is off to a fresh start, and many of us are committed to doing something or many things with more intention this year. But it's tough to stay on track. In fact, “Quitters Day”, which falls on January 14th this year, is the day when most people give up. How can you ...read more
Kids in the Kitchen: Mini Banana Waffle Pies With Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
School has started back for many (us included!), and today's Kid's in the Kitchen recipe makes for a perfect breakfast or after-school snack. We made ours for an after-school snack the other day and my second grader loved it. We call this recipe Mini Banana Waffle Pies With ...read more
The Best Overnight French Toast Recipe
We've hit the winter lull--that lengthy stretch of season with no plans, no parties, nothing to do, and nowhere to go. I have to admit that at first, I welcomed the quiet obligation-free weekends of January. After the nonstop hustle-bustle pace of November and December, my family ...read more
What I didn't:
- While the joke may be about crappy kitchens, but do the photos have to be small and crappy too? When it comes to cookbooks, Momtrends loves pretty pictures.
- Not too many healthy options. Many of the meals involve a lot of butter an other fats.
Overall, if you are looking for some gourmet challenges without having to invest a bundle, this may be the perfect inspiration. Buy on Amazon for $12.89.
Momtrends was not paid for this post. Shopping affiliate links helps support our editorial efforts.