If you are getting ready to spend time outdoors, it is important to be reminded about the tick facts to stay safe and protected. Here's what you need to know about ticks and preventing them from biting your family.
Related: Welcome to the summer of camp mom
Ten Tick Facts to Keep Your Family Safe
- Ticks crawl up: Ticks don't jump, fly, or drop from trees onto your head and back. If you find one attached there, it most likely latched onto your foot or leg and crawled up over your entire body.
- All ticks (including deer ticks) come in small, medium and large sizes
- Ticks can be active even in the winter: That's right! Deer Ticks in particular are not killed by freezing temperatures, and will be active any winter day that the ground is not snow-covered or frozen.
- Ticks carry disease-causing microbes: Tick-transmitted infections are more common these days than in past decades. With explosive increases in deer populations, extending even into semi-urban areas in the eastern and western U.S., the trend is for increasing abundance and geographic spread of deer ticks and Lone Star ticks; and scientists are finding an ever-increasing list of disease-causing microbes transmitted by these ticks: Lyme disease bacteria, Babesia protozoa, Anaplasma, Ehrlichia, and other rickettsia, even encephalitis-causing viruses, and possibly Bartonella bacteria. Back in the day, tick bites were more of an annoyance but now a bite is much more likely to make you sick.
- Only deer ticks transmit Lyme disease bacteria: The only way to get Lyme disease is by being bitten by a deer tick or one of its "cousins" found around the world.
- For most tick-borne diseases, you have at least 24 hours to find and remove a feeding tick before it transmits an infection: Even a quick daily tick check at bath or shower time can be helpful in finding and removing attached ticks before they can transmit an infection. Lyme disease bacteria take at least 24 hours to invade the tick's saliva.
- Deer tick nymphs look like a poppy seed on your skin: And with about 1 out of 4 nymphal deer ticks carrying the Lyme disease spirochete and other nasty germs in the northeastern, mid-Atlantic, and upper mid-western U.S., it's important to know what you're really looking for. They're easy to miss, their bites are generally painless, and they have a habit of climbing up (under clothing) and biting in hard-to-see places.
- The easiest and safest way to remove a tick is with a pointy tweezer: Using really pointy tweezers, it's possible to grab even the poppy-seed sized nymphs right down next to the skin. The next step is to simply pull the tick out like a splinter.
- Clothing with built-in tick repellent is best for preventing tick bites: An easy way to avoid tick bites and disease is to wear clothing (shoes, socks, shorts or pants, and shirt) with Insect Shield® tick repellent built-in. Check out the line on Amazon here (note this link is an affiliate link)
- Tick bites and tick-borne diseases are completely preventable: There's really only one way you get a tick-transmitted disease and that's from a tick bite. Reducing tick abundance in your yard, wearing tick repellent clothing every day, treating pets every month and getting into a habit of doing a quick body scan are all great actions for preventing tick bites.
Compassion, Fear, and Facing the Reality of Gun Violence
This post was originally published in October of 2017, after a gunman opened fire at a concert in Las Vegas, killing 58 people. Five years later, it still applies. In this, the latest heartbreaking, soul-crushing human massacre, 14 were murdered at a elementary school in ...read more
DIY Flower Arrangement Mugs for Graduation
This is an usual graduation season. With COVID in our midst, we are isolating ourselves from the ones we love. I came up with a creative way to celebrate the graduates in my life with these DIY flower arrangement mugs using Fabulous Florals. Related: Easy DIY floral design tips ...read more
7 Activities for Family Fun in Jackson Hole, WY
As part of a three-week trip from California to Montana, my family spent two nights in Jackson Hole, Wyoming at the Snake River Lodge and Spa. If your family vacations head you that way or you're looking for a new part of the U.S. to explore, here are 7 great family activities to ...read more
KID-CENTRIC FUN FROM MOMTRENDS
- Printable gratitude activities for kids
- Create a cozy reading nook for kids
- Toddler Puzzles and Sorting Games
Need more ideas on what to do with the kids? Be sure to follow our Activities to Do with the Kids board on Pinterest here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.