It was a record-breaking 90-degrees yesterday in the suburbs of New York City. May 3rd, and we were already all in shorts, tanks, and flip-flops. After school we even turned on the sprinklers for a bit. If this is any indication of what's to come this spring and summer, it's going to be a hot one! The most important thing to remember during a heat wave (and, really, every day regardless of the weather), is to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
I'm diligent about making sure my kiddos get plenty of H20, but sometimes I forget to practice what I preach. May is National Drinking Water Month, and an important reminder that 1.5 that losing even 1.5 percent of the body’s water is the tipping point for dehydration. We're sharing some tips from Culligan International, a world leader in the treatment of water, about staying hydrated this season and beyond.
- Bring Water on the Go. Wherever you are headed, always take a reusable water bottle with you. Have each member of your household choose their own water bottle and label it with their name. Allowing young children to select a water bottle donning their favorite superhero or princess provides added incentive to take frequent water breaks. Set the water bottles in a high traffic area or close to the door so you don’t forget them when leaving home. And… refill, refill, refill whenever empty.
- Drink Good Water. Not all water is created equal. Filling your reusable bottle with filtered water can ensure it not only tastes better, but is better for you. Culligan offers a variety of home filtration or reverse osmosis (RO) systems that work to remove toxins, heavy metals and bio and industrial contaminants, along with foul tastes and odors from your home’s tap water. While installing such system used to require a dedicated faucet that meant drilling a hole in your counter or losing a soap dispenser, the Culligan ClearLink PRO alleviates this need. ClearLink PRO is a wireless control system that delivers Culligan filtered water from your main faucet with the touch of a button. The wireless button can be placed virtually anywhere making access to great tasting water easier and less conspicuous than ever.
- Establish a Drinking Routine. If you have trouble remembering to drink water, establish a drinking routine. Start your day with a glass of water, followed by a glass at and between each meal, and a glass before bed. Or, drink a small glass of water at the beginning of each hour. Establishing a drinking routine is an easy way ensure that you reach the recommended water intake each day.
- Increase Intake with Workouts. A good rule of thumb is to drink water before, during and after a workout. According to the Mayo Clinic, if you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for fluid loss. How much depends on how much you sweat and the duration and type of exercise. And, don’t rely on water fountains, be sure to bring your reusable water bottle to workout sessions.
- Load Up on Fruits and Veggies. Fruits and vegetables are high in water content and an excellent way to complement water intake and stay hydrated. Before eating, be sure to rinse produce under filtered water to safely clean and maintain the health benefits. Fruits and veggies are also easy to serve at home and eat on the go.
Save Money at a Ski Swap
Are the slopes in your future? If you want to save money on ski gear, consider a ski swap. A swap is a great way to buy and sell used equipment. Most swaps consist of a variety of gear, from brand new to used skis and snowboards to skis; from poles to boots to bindings and ...read more
The Ten Best Wooden Play Kitchens For Kids
Cooking is a timeless fascination for children. This type of play goes beyond gender and teaches kids loads of life skills along the way. An investment in a play kitchen is money well spent, as it can provide hours of entertainment. We've rounded up the ten best wooden play ...read more
New Victory Announces a New Season of Shows
We know you're busy planning picnics and summer outings, but we wanted to let you know that The New Victory just announced their new season and it looks fantastic. We thought you'd like a sneak peek of what's in store! Each year the New Vic theater brings culture to tourists and ...read more
Don't forget a great reusable water bottle. I love the Disney line from Tervis. These great tumbles keep drinks cold and help the earth!
More from Momtrends
This is not a sponsored post.