We all need something to rally around, and we need to burn off all that banana bread we've been eating during social distancing. Training for a 5k will keep you busy and it's also a way to give back. Now is the time to sign up and start working on your mileage for a virtual run to keep you sane and possibly help forward a cause.
Related: Tips for getting girls into running
How to Run a Virtual Run
- Sign up: online via registration links. Mark your calendar.
- Train: See Below for training tips.
- Show up: Check the start time. At the designated time in your respective time zone you start your time and run, walk, jog, run on your treadmill for 3.1 miles which is a 5k.
- Log in your time on the registration site where you registered for your event and donate if you choose.
- Celebrate: and get ready to crush your next goal.
Upcoming Virtual Races
Alaska Virtual Run for Women.
As the saying goes, there’s unity in community. For the Alaska Run for Women, that means in 2020 we stay apart so we can play a part in the fight against breast cancer. Run as a team or run solo.
Join the 28th annual Alaska Run for Women virtually June 20-27, 2020. For the past 27 years, more than $4.9 million in cash and donated mammograms has been generated by the Alaska Run for Women event - all of which has been distributed to organizations associated with breast cancer and committed to awareness and decreasing the impact of breast cancer on our Alaska communities through education, outreach, research, early detection, and treatment. Funds also support donated mammograms for low-income women through a program administered by a local non-profit. Your participation in this women’s event helps all women and men in the fight against breast cancer.
Run or walk your distance (5-mile or 1-mile) anytime and anywhere from June 20 - 27, 2020. Download the 2020 Alaska Virtual Run for Women Race Booklet, your bib, back tags and more to get yourself ready for the event. Share your race experience on social media by tagging #akrfw1in8 (if you prefer not to that is okay too!).
Get your cape on and join your fellow Super Heroes when you run or walk the DC Wonder Woman™ 5K or 10K Virtual Run! The virtual run consists of a 5k and 10k option, just like with our race series. Run (or walk) the distance you pick wherever you want. Register to get your swag: a lightweight quarter zip, commemorative tote bag, wrist cuffs, finisher’s medal, and a personalized bib. They’ll ship the goodie bag and medal right to you.
You can do your run/walk anywhere; sidewalks, paths, treadmill- make this race your own! Want to run with a stroller or Fido? Do it! They just ask that you tag @dcwonderwomanrun to see these great photos!
In order to download a finishers certificate, you must complete your run prior to November 1st, 2020.
Training For Your 5k
Are you ready to join the movement? There's no time like the present to get started. Here's our best advice to get to the finish line.
- First, make sure you are in good enough shape physically.
- Start slow, try a mix of running and walking. One mile is fine, since the race is only a few weeks away, don't overdo it. It's OK to walk!
- Good shoes. Get a pair with decent cushioning.
- Track your progress with an app like Runkeeper or Strava.
- Be sure to hydrate.
- Keep it safe. Check out our safety running tips here.
Need more help? Check out the couch to 5k program.
Training Tip: Use the power of your mind to get you to the finish line and to your running goals! 💥
While running a race and challenges arise, try to visualize crossing the finish line. Did you know that our mind does not know the difference between fact and fiction? Trick your mind by visualizing what you can’t yet see.
MORE RUNNING FROM MOMTRENDS
- Tips for Taking the Tough Mudder 5K Challenge
- Tips for Running with Tweens and Kids
- Essential Running Gear for Safety
Use Pinterest to save your favorite parenting articles. Be sure to follow our Running board here.