We all need something to rally around, and we need to burn off all that banana bread we've been eating during social distancing. Training for a 5k will keep you busy and it's also a way to give back. Now is the time to sign up and start working on your mileage for a virtual run to keep you sane and possibly help forward a cause.
Related: Tips for getting girls into running
How to Run a Virtual Run
- Sign up: online via registration links. Mark your calendar.
- Train: See Below for training tips.
- Show up: Check the start time. At the designated time in your respective time zone you start your time and run, walk, jog, run on your treadmill for 3.1 miles which is a 5k.
- Log in your time on the registration site where you registered for your event and donate if you choose.
- Celebrate: and get ready to crush your next goal.
Upcoming Virtual Races
Kellogg’s Special K x Black Girls RUN!
Everyone is invited to this race, from newcomers and seasoned marathoners alike, to lace up for the first-ever Special 5K, a virtual race that turns every 5K you complete into donations for people in need via Feeding America. The goal is to generate 2.5 million meals.
With the help of actress, producer, advocate and fitness enthusiast La La Anthony, the inaugural virtual race takes place now through June 30, 2021. With more than 42 million people projected to experience food insecurity this year, the time is ripe to help Americans do something good for themselves — and others.
Visit RunSignUp.com/Special5K to sign up for free, start tracking your Ks and turn your hard work into hardworking donations to Feeding America.
Be sure to check out specialk.com/en_US/black-girls-run-5k and follow the hashtag #Special5K on social for more updates on how Special K and Black Girls RUN! are working together.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Training For Your 5k
Are you ready to join the movement? There's no time like the present to get started. Here's our best advice to get to the finish line.
- First, make sure you are in good enough shape physically.
- Start slow, try a mix of running and walking. One mile is fine, since the race is only a few weeks away, don't overdo it. It's OK to walk!
- Good shoes. Get a pair with decent cushioning.
- Track your progress with an app like Runkeeper or Strava.
- Be sure to hydrate.
- Keep it safe. Check out our safety running tips here.
Need more help? Check out the couch to 5k program.
Training Tip: Use the power of your mind to get you to the finish line and to your running goals! 💥
While running a race and challenges arise, try to visualize crossing the finish line. Did you know that our mind does not know the difference between fact and fiction? Trick your mind by visualizing what you can’t yet see.
MORE RUNNING FROM MOMTRENDS
- Tips for Taking the Tough Mudder 5K Challenge
- Tips for Running with Tweens and Kids
- Essential Running Gear for Safety
Use Pinterest to save your favorite parenting articles. Be sure to follow our Running board here.