Childhood is supposed to be fun and carefree; but, the truth is, even little kids have stress, anxiety, and other issues affecting their mental well being. That's why it's so important to foster healthy habits early on and encourage resilience and self esteem from day one. The experts at The Little Gym, know how critical it is to help build developmental skills and confidence in early childhood--so we reached out for a few top tips to help you on your parenting journey.
Related: 6 Essential Money Lessons for Kids
Tips for Raising a Resilient Child
- Focus on feelings: It’s important to teach your child at a very young age (think infancy) to express their feelings. Whether your child is angry, sad, happy, excited, scared, etc. it’s important to identify and acknowledge what emotions your child is feeling. Then you can teach them the skills needed to cope and deal with that feeling. Show real interest in your child’s feelings and help them express, and manage their emotions in a healthy way.
- Let them make mistakes: If you don’t make mistakes, how do you learn? It’s important to teach your child that it’s ok to make mistakes. It’s ok to fail. It’s ok to be wrong. Reason being? That’s how you learn! Teaching your child that mistakes are ok, and encouraged, can help them develop a healthy relationship with failure and teach them how to deal with shortcomings in a positive way.
- Let them make decisions: Not only will allowing your child to make some of their own (age-appropriate) decisions help foster their independence, it will also help them deal with the consequences or rewards of their own actions.
- Nurture them: There is no such thing as too much love! Caring, nurturing, and loving on your child is a BIG way to help them feel emotionally secure and will also help them grow into loving adults.
- Lead by example and take care of your own emotional well-being: Parents need to practice what they preach. By taking care of your own emotional health you can in turn help your child grow into an emotionally healthy little person!
5 Pretty Ways To Organize Your Jewelry
I admit - I'm guilt. Despite my best efforts, my "jewelry drawer" has become a tangled mess of necklaces, bracelets and earrings. This cluttered collection not only makes it hard to see what I have, but difficult to untangle the pieces I do want to wear! This summer, I'm ...read more
This Year's Coolest Jumbo Pool Floats
Pool season is almost here! I can't wait to relax, read a book, and sip a cocktail while lazily drifting in an oversized float. (Just kidding, I have two toddlers--but a swim mama can dream, right?). If you've got a staycation planned, check out this year's coolest jumbo pool ...read more
Crystal Clear and Pristine: Pool-Cleaning Tips
Tropical Storm Isaiah gave us quite the midsummer surprise here in the suburbs of New York City. We just got our power back on after a whole week of darkness! With trees down, debris everywhere, and lots of uncertainty, one thing we forgot to check on: our above ground Intex ...read more
WANT MORE WELLNESS FROM MOMTRENDS?
- How to Instantly Change the Mood at Home
- 5 Tips to Rein in Anxiety During Times of Uncertainty
- 8 Fresh Perspectives on stress and tips to manage it
Use Pinterest to save your favorite ideas from Momtrends. Be sure to follow our Parenting Tips board here.
This is not a sponsored post.