Childhood is supposed to be fun and carefree; but, the truth is, even little kids have stress, anxiety, and other issues affecting their mental well being. That's why it's so important to foster healthy habits early on and encourage resilience and self esteem from day one. The experts at The Little Gym, know how critical it is to help build developmental skills and confidence in early childhood--so we reached out for a few top tips to help you on your parenting journey.
Related: 6 Essential Money Lessons for Kids
Tips for Raising a Resilient Child
- Focus on feelings: It’s important to teach your child at a very young age (think infancy) to express their feelings. Whether your child is angry, sad, happy, excited, scared, etc. it’s important to identify and acknowledge what emotions your child is feeling. Then you can teach them the skills needed to cope and deal with that feeling. Show real interest in your child’s feelings and help them express, and manage their emotions in a healthy way.
- Let them make mistakes: If you don’t make mistakes, how do you learn? It’s important to teach your child that it’s ok to make mistakes. It’s ok to fail. It’s ok to be wrong. Reason being? That’s how you learn! Teaching your child that mistakes are ok, and encouraged, can help them develop a healthy relationship with failure and teach them how to deal with shortcomings in a positive way.
- Let them make decisions: Not only will allowing your child to make some of their own (age-appropriate) decisions help foster their independence, it will also help them deal with the consequences or rewards of their own actions.
- Nurture them: There is no such thing as too much love! Caring, nurturing, and loving on your child is a BIG way to help them feel emotionally secure and will also help them grow into loving adults.
- Lead by example and take care of your own emotional well-being: Parents need to practice what they preach. By taking care of your own emotional health you can in turn help your child grow into an emotionally healthy little person!
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
WANT MORE WELLNESS FROM MOMTRENDS?
- How to Instantly Change the Mood at Home
- 5 Tips to Rein in Anxiety During Times of Uncertainty
- 8 Fresh Perspectives on stress and tips to manage it
Use Pinterest to save your favorite ideas from Momtrends. Be sure to follow our Parenting Tips board here.
This is not a sponsored post.