After spotting Jen Senecal's inspirational and honest Instagram post about divorce and parenthood, we invited her to share her perspective and tell her truth. We're honored to share her take on parenting after divorce. We think the single mom POV is an important one--and we encourage you to visit her feed for more empowering, but grounded nuggets of knowledge...
15 Divorce Lessons Learned from One Mom
The last 8 months have been nothing short of a roller coaster, but here’s what I’m learning about divorce:
- It is, in fact, not the easy way out. So when people love to throw that line around, it’s incorrect. It quite possibly could be the hardest thing to ever do.
- You can become better friends with your ex than you’ve ever been before.
- People will always have something to say about it--and will also try to get in your business and pit you against each other (and it won’t work). Just let that go.
- Families still work (well) together that live in separate houses. This is a huge relief to me because it was my single biggest fear.
- Your kids will be OK.
- You will find the pieces of yourself that went missing.
- You’ll be busier than ever before, with more sole responsibility, but it doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Your individual relationships with your children can and will strengthen.
- You’ll have a low tolerance for anything that robs you of your joy, once you get out of the mud.
- You actually embrace being alone. (Because see #9.)
- There is utter liberation in second chances and a tension-free relationship with your ex.
- Silence will excite you.
- You will wake up one day in the middle of all this and feel nothing but love, peace and gratitude. And then the next day terrified with a heavy heart because it’s not where you wanted to go and it’s all just really sad. But after a while, the good days outweigh the bad by many.
- Your heart, like your muscles, will tear apart but then grow back bigger and stronger.
- You will find your tribe and they will do incredible things for you. You will know, without a single doubt, who your people are.
Best of Northern Italy Villa Cipriani Luxury Resort Review
Italy is a country that just keeps surprising and delighting me. After visiting the larger cities and making a few trips south to Sicily, Mr. Momtrends and I ventured to the northern part of the country on our last trip. Our home base was the delightful Villa Cipriani. This ...read more
Here's What No One Tells You About Olive Oil
produce is at its absolute PEAK right now. It's the time to prepare fresh veggies and fruit with ease and simplicity. When it comes to cooking, the farmer's market is my muse. As I prepare some of my summer harvest favorites, I'm sharing a little secret, what you put ON the ...read more
Amazing Breastfeeding Accessories for Mom
As a breastfeeding mama I'm always on the lookout for stylish and functional accessories. Chewbeads and NuRoo offer moms products that pull double duty! Add an extra layer of style while also keeping it functional with Chewbeads necklaces and NuRoo nursing scarves. Both of ...read more
Jen Senecal is a personal trainer, nutritional coach, freelance writer and mom of three living in RI. Her adventures in fitness, parenthood and how to (attempt to) maintain a successful divorce can be found on her Instagram page at @jensenecal.
WANT MORE MENTAL WELLNESS TIPS FROM MOMTRENDS?
- How to Instantly Change the Mood at Home
- 5 Tips to Rein in Anxiety During Times of Uncertainty
- Meditation Tips for Stressed Out Moms
Use Pinterest to save your favorite ideas from Momtrends. Be sure to follow our Parenting board here.
This is not a sponsored post.