With back to school season upon us we have been thinking about ways to incorporate exercise into our routines during the school year. This is a big issue across the country since obesity has tripled in the past 30 years. This greatly affects our children who are now facing shorter expected lifespans than their parents. To learn more about this issue, Joy Bauer hosted a fun webinar featuring tips on how the entire family can get fit (see tips below) and improve the health and fitness of an entire generation.
Our Favorite Family Health and Fitness Tips
To encourage a healthy lifestyle, Joy Bauer shared her family health and fitness tips - offering ten simple changes to make a huge impact.
Cookbook for Moms Who Ski and Ride
Winter is here and it's time for outdoor adventures. Skiing, hiking and sledding can make a family hungry. This winter, there's an awesome solution for moms a new cookbook for moms who ski and ride. The Ski Moms Cookbook is a digital cookbook with 35 recipes that are easy to ...read more
How to Make an Easy Paper Plate Snowman
If you live on the East Coast, it's likely you've seen some snow already, same for our friends out in the Rockies. There's something magical about a snow day and the playing outside in a winter wonderland. This craft is inspired by the simply joy of making a snowman. Whether you ...read more
Skip the Crowds and Take Your Family Skiing in Waterville Valley
After a sizable snow storm over Martin Luther King weekend, there were plenty of lift lines and skiers heading to Vermont. Amazingly, most of them drove right past an awesome resort. I'm encouraging families to skip the crowds on the next winter holiday and take a family ski trip ...read more
- Get moving as a family: Go to a park, ride bikes, or play ball or tag in your front yard.
- Snack Strategically: Try to leave a 2 hour gap between snacks and meals so your kids are hungry, interested in real food and more apt to taste new things when lunch or dinner rolls around.
- Make the TV room a no-eating zone!
- Sign your entire family up for a charity walk: It's a great way to spend time together, enjoy the outdoors and support a meaningful cause.
- Give your kids an energizing start with a protein-rich breakfast: Try scrambled eggs with low-fat cheese, a non-fat yogurt with fruit, or apple slices with peanut butter.
- Set up an obstacle course indoors or outdoors using everyday objects: Time everyone in the family to see who can finish the fastest.
- Join a team, softball, swimming, dance, track, anything goes: You'll meet new friends, enjoy fun competition and dedicate more time to getting fit
- Whenever you go anywhere as a family, park as far away from the entrance as possible: You'll get in plenty of exercise and every little bit helps! And whenever possible, take the stairs.
- Give produce a starring role in your home.
- Remember that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get physically fit and healthy as a family: It just takes some planning, motivation and creativity
MORE FAMILY FITNESS FROM MOMTRENDS
Use Pinterest to save your favorite parenting articles. Be sure to follow our Running board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.