I was lucky enough (sorry, no pun intended) to spend quite a bit of time in Ireland. While the main dish foods might not have been my fave, I found a few yummy desserts that hit the sweet-tooth spot. I am sharing five Irish desserts you must try just in time for St. Patrick's Day. (Did you catch our Irish Soda Bread Muffins, another must-try and easy enough to whip up the morning of..)
1. Apple Cake with Custard Sauce: I can't even describe how yummy this is. Tart, sweet and a perfect combination of smooth and crumbly textures make this a delightful treat. I love Cooking Classy's recipe.
2. Chocolate Guinness Cake: I have only had this one other time since my trip to Ireland and it was in a very traditional Irish pub in NYC. It is easy to make and something about the Guinness and chocolate works surprisingly well. Try this one or this one (or make 'em both!) This is the dessert I have planned for our celebration.
3. Blueberry Scones: A sweet breakfast, a yummy dessert, and a great way to dive into the traditional Irish favorite, the blueberry scone is as iconic as gold coins and wee leprechauns. Sunny Days, Good Food gets it just right.
4. Irish Coffee Cake: Despite the name, this dessert is delish right along side a fresh, hot cuppa tea. I have always been a sucker for coffee cake, but I tried Irish Coffee cake in county Cork and it is a game-changer. Donal Skehan agrees and even has a youtube video how-to!
5. Old-Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake: This is not one I have tried, but my Irish soul sister swears by it and deemed it worthy of a spot in the top five. Seems easy to make, delicious and, hey, it has oatmeal so we know it is *sorta* good for us too! Try this recipe from Key Ingredient.