Treatment for silent reflux includes daily medication but that regime isn't recommended long term. So, what's a girl to do? We've come up with some natural remedies to battle silent reflux and heartburn.
Related: Mother zen 3 meditation apps to try
Natural Remedies That Work for Us
While I try hard not to make aging all about bellyaching and negativity, there are some things that pop up that just weren't a problem in my younger years. A few years back, as an early "Welcome to the 40 Club", I was diagnosed with Silent Reflux. I had been suffering with a variety of symptoms including hoarseness, tightness in my chest and constant throat irritation. It was the tightness in my chest that got me most concerned and I booked my appointment with a gastroenterologist.
I am choosing to combat my Silent Reflux naturally. As with so many ailments, eating a well-balanced, nutrient-rich diet is a good first step.
Foods to Avoid if you have Heartburn or Reflux
Here are the TOP FIVE foods to avoid if you're experiencing symptoms of acid reflux or have been diagnosed with silent reflux or have a esophageal hernia:
- Fried foods-Now might be a good time to check out an air-fryer and say goodbye to fried foods.
- Caffeine-Limiting caffeine can dramatically reduce symptoms-cut down and try less irritating tea (over coffee) instead
- Mint-bye-bye gum, breath mints & mojitos.
- Chocolate-I KNOW! But avoiding this indulgent treat is a must.
- Alcohol: Keep drinking alcohol to a minimum and you'll feel the difference.
Amazon Cyber Monday Beauty Deals
Its hard to believe the holidays are here! At Momtrends, we love a good deal, but we don't have oodles of time to sift through emails, so we put together our list of favorites from Amazon's Cyber Monday Beauty list for you. 8 Best Amazon Cyber Monday Beauty Deals Drybar Single ...read more
Skin Perfected with the Le Mieux Ultrasonic Facial Tool
No lie – I love a good skincare gadget, but I’m pretty particular about what makes the cut. First and foremost, it has to work. It has to do something for my skin that is worth the time to use the device and the money to buy it in the first place. Second, I really hate products ...read more
Holiday Gift Buying: Safety Tips and Age-Appropriate Toys for Kids
The holiday buying season is back and this year we are following a few tips from the Toy Industry Association to ensure that the gifts we get our kids are safe and age-appropriate. Related: 2022 Momtrends Best Toys and Gifts for Kids Age Guide to the Best Toys Let's start with ...read more
Natural Reflux Remedy Ingredients:
I don't always restrict myself and there are several other "triggers" that can make the reflux flare up. My nutritionist helped me create this concoction that I drink daily (sometimes morning and night!).
- 2 tablespoons Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Manuka honey (be sure the quality rating is higher than 10)
- 1 teaspoon black strap molasses
- Generous sprinkle of cinnamon
- 8 oz. purified water (we love alkaline Mountain Valley Spring Water)
Here are some behaviors that help keep my symptoms in check:
- Stay upright at least 2 hours after eating
- Practice good posture and sleep with your head propped up (using a head and neck pillow can help)
- Avoid eating within 3-4 hours of bedtime
- Eat small meals
- Keep stress in check -try yoga, meditation, or exercise
Many of you may be suffering from silent reflux and may not even know it (an alarming 1 in 5 are afflicted!) so if you are experiencing discomfort reach out to your practitioner. Feel well, mamas (and take care of you, so you may take care of your brood!)
WANT MORE WELLNESS FROM MOMTRENDS?
- How to Instantly Change the Mood at Home
- 5 Tips to Rein in Anxiety During Times of Uncertainty
- 8 Fresh Perspectives on stress and tips to manage it
Use Pinterest to save your favorite ideas from Momtrends. Be sure to follow our Fitness and health board here.
This is not a sponsored post.