Of the things that North Americans associate Costa Rica with, the sloth is perhaps one of the most well-known and significant. October 20 is celebrated worldwide as International Sloth Day, a day in which we honor and celebrate the slowww-moving animal. Here's how to celebrate Sloth Day.
Sloth Fun Facts
Quiz your kids this morning and amaze them with your knowledge on these cute animals.
- Sloths can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes underwater and are great swimmers
- Sloths only go to the bathroom once a week
- Sloths have coarse, thick fur - a perfect location for algae and fungus to grow
- Sloths can turn their heads 270 degrees in either direction due to extra vertebrae in their spine
- Sloths have finger bones that are four-inches long
- Sloths love their alone time
- The average sloth lives between 20 to 30 years
- It takes up to a month for sloths to digest one meal, as their stomachs have four compartments
- Armadillos and Anteaters are their closest relatives
- Sloths sleep up to 20 hours per day
Sloth Spotting in Costa Rica
I was lucky enough to see a few sloths on my trip to Costa Rica. We were with a nature guide who was great at spotting them and VERY respectful of their space. Of the six sloth species in the world, Costa Rica is home to two unendangered subspecies – the Two-Toed Sloth (Choloepus Hoffmanni) and Three-Toed Brown Sloth (Bradypus Variegatus). Both species are typically spotted in tree canopies around the country, though they can be difficult to spot as their fur blends in well with the vegetation. Sloths can be spotted all throughout Costa Rica.
It is recommended that travelers book tours with responsible and knowledgeable guides, who can easily spot sloths from a distance using a telescope. It is important to remember that petting, touching and holding a sloth (or any wild animal) in Costa Rica is illegal.
How to Safely View a Sloth
Travelers are invited to take photographs of Costa Rica’s wildlife, however, the Government of Costa Rica provides a series of recommendations to avoid cruelty to animals and support environmental conservation efforts in the country through its #StopAnimalSelfies campaign. The Government recommends that travelers avoid hugging or holding wild animals, as this promotes the exploitation of wildlife and can put the individual and animal in danger. Practice responsible tourism by keeping a safe distance from the animal when taking photos.
By paying for experiences at wildlife rescue centers, travelers can also help sloths and other wild animals return to nature. Several organizations invite you to adopt a wild animal and support their rehabilitation. You will receive an adoption certificate, as well as photos and updates on the animal.
DIY Flower Arrangement Mugs for Graduation
This is an usual graduation season. With COVID in our midst, we are isolating ourselves from the ones we love. I came up with a creative way to celebrate the graduates in my life with these DIY flower arrangement mugs using Fabulous Florals. Related: Easy DIY floral design tips ...read more
7 Activities for Family Fun in Jackson Hole, WY
As part of a three-week trip from California to Montana, my family spent two nights in Jackson Hole, Wyoming at the Snake River Lodge and Spa. If your family vacations head you that way or you're looking for a new part of the U.S. to explore, here are 7 great family activities to ...read more
How to Build Your Maternity Capsule Wardrobe
As a stylist who has been pregnant twice now, I love styling maternity outfits. But expectant moms often find this challenge daunting. They’ll tell me they have no idea what to wear, what to buy, or when to “give in” to maternity clothes during pregnancy. So let’s debunk all the ...read more
Show your love for these slow pokes by snapping up some sloth swag.
1. Sloth Travel Mug $24.99; 2. Sloth Coin Purse $12.75; 3. Sloth Pencil and Eraser Set $11.99; 4. Sloth Chip Clips $7.90; 5. Sloth Pin $5.30; 6. Sloth Personalized Rainbow Mug $8; 7. Cacti Sloth Sticker Set $3.70;
Get inspired and make these Sloth Pencil Toppers we saw on Handmade Charlotte.
More on Travel Ideas from Momtrends
- Finding family adventure in Costa Rica
- Luxury family travel to Nicaragua Morgan's Rock review
- Three adventurous family summer destinations
PIN IT AND PLAN IT!
Are you ready for a summer adventure? Pin it and plan it! Be sure to follow our Travel with Kids board.