Of the things that North Americans associate Costa Rica with, the sloth is perhaps one of the most well-known and significant. October 20 is celebrated worldwide as International Sloth Day, a day in which we honor and celebrate the slowww-moving animal. Here's how to celebrate Sloth Day.
Sloth Fun Facts
Quiz your kids this morning and amaze them with your knowledge on these cute animals.
- Sloths can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes underwater and are great swimmers
- Sloths only go to the bathroom once a week
- Sloths have coarse, thick fur - a perfect location for algae and fungus to grow
- Sloths can turn their heads 270 degrees in either direction due to extra vertebrae in their spine
- Sloths have finger bones that are four-inches long
- Sloths love their alone time
- The average sloth lives between 20 to 30 years
- It takes up to a month for sloths to digest one meal, as their stomachs have four compartments
- Armadillos and Anteaters are their closest relatives
- Sloths sleep up to 20 hours per day
Sloth Spotting in Costa Rica
I was lucky enough to see a few sloths on my trip to Costa Rica. We were with a nature guide who was great at spotting them and VERY respectful of their space. Of the six sloth species in the world, Costa Rica is home to two unendangered subspecies – the Two-Toed Sloth (Choloepus Hoffmanni) and Three-Toed Brown Sloth (Bradypus Variegatus). Both species are typically spotted in tree canopies around the country, though they can be difficult to spot as their fur blends in well with the vegetation. Sloths can be spotted all throughout Costa Rica.
It is recommended that travelers book tours with responsible and knowledgeable guides, who can easily spot sloths from a distance using a telescope. It is important to remember that petting, touching and holding a sloth (or any wild animal) in Costa Rica is illegal.
How to Safely View a Sloth
Travelers are invited to take photographs of Costa Rica’s wildlife, however, the Government of Costa Rica provides a series of recommendations to avoid cruelty to animals and support environmental conservation efforts in the country through its #StopAnimalSelfies campaign. The Government recommends that travelers avoid hugging or holding wild animals, as this promotes the exploitation of wildlife and can put the individual and animal in danger. Practice responsible tourism by keeping a safe distance from the animal when taking photos.
By paying for experiences at wildlife rescue centers, travelers can also help sloths and other wild animals return to nature. Several organizations invite you to adopt a wild animal and support their rehabilitation. You will receive an adoption certificate, as well as photos and updates on the animal.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Show your love for these slow pokes by snapping up some sloth swag.
1. Sloth Travel Mug $24.99; 2. Sloth Coin Purse $12.75; 3. Sloth Pencil and Eraser Set $11.99; 4. Sloth Chip Clips $7.90; 5. Sloth Pin $5.30; 6. Sloth Personalized Rainbow Mug $8; 7. Cacti Sloth Sticker Set $3.70;
Get inspired and make these Sloth Pencil Toppers we saw on Handmade Charlotte.
More on Travel Ideas from Momtrends
- Finding family adventure in Costa Rica
- Luxury family travel to Nicaragua Morgan's Rock review
- Three adventurous family summer destinations
PIN IT AND PLAN IT!
Are you ready for a summer adventure? Pin it and plan it! Be sure to follow our Travel with Kids board.