Summer is all about eating light, but that doesn't mean food should be boring. A few days ago I was sick of our pasta routine and decided to mix it up with taco night complete with healthy vegetable fish tacos and my favorite guacamole.
Healthy Fish Tacos and Guacamole
Ready in less than 30 minutes, I started by chopping up a variety of vegetables (yellow squash, red onions, tomatoes, zucchini, etc) and let them marinate with simple ingredients like olive oil, lemon, lime, salt and pepper. As that cooked I made my favorite guacamole that I loved sampling as I cooked.
Next up was the white fish and some beans for a simple and healthy dish thanks to the fiber-rich vegetables, high protein from the fish and heart healthy fats from the guacamole. I also add some black beans, sour cream and cheese on the side for a fun toppings bar.
This quick and easy concoction was bursting with flavor and I even had enough for leftovers that I plan to use as a side dish or as a topping on a salad.
How to Celebrate Adoptive Parents
I recently learned that a friend who had been patiently awaiting a child became a parent practically overnight. When I heard about this loving couple bringing home their first baby, it really got me thinking about how to celebrate adoptive parents. We have experience with ...read more
Spiked Apple Cider Pops
September in the South is, in my opinion, still summer. The eighties and nineties always prevail and make the traditional fall flavors that I crave so much slightly out of reach. As much as I want to relax and sip on some hot cider, at the moment, I still need something iced. ...read more
Japan Adventure Park Hyatt Hotel Niseko
Are you ready for an international ski adventure with your family? This new opened in January 2020, right before the big shutdown. The Park Hyatt hotel is located 2 hours northeast of the New Chitose airport in the northern island of Hokkaido. We arrived via flight from Tokyo to ...read more
Fish Tacos Ingredients:
- 1 zucchini, cup up
- 1 yellow squash, cup up
- variety of peppers, cut up (I used red, green and yellow)
- 2 tomatoes, cup up
- 1/2 red onion, cut up
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- filet of white fish (I used a grouper)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- drizzle of olive oil, approximately 4 tablespoons
Healthy Fish Taco Directions
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and set aside.
- Cut up the garlic and onions and add to the pan. Set to a low flame as you cut up the zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Add to the pan, along with some salt, pepper, lemon and lime.
- In about five minutes add in the fish and mix around as the fish breaks down into smaller pieces.
- Cover and reduce to a low heat as the fish and vegetables cook.
- Serve with a taco shell or eat it as is.
Homemade Guacamole Ingredients:
- 4 avocados, de-pitted and cut up
- 2 tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon of pre-chopped garlic or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lemons
- 4 limes
- 1/2 red onion, cut up
- salt and pepper, taste to determine preference
- Cut up the avocados, onion, and the tomatoes and add them to a mixed-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix and add in the garlic, lemons and limes.
- Add in the salt and pepper and taste. Either mash with a spoon or use a hand blender on low to mix everything together.
- Serve with your favorite chip.
What are you cooking this week?