Who doesn't love Halloween with all the candy and quirky costumes?! And with Halloween right around the corner, we thought it'd be fun to share a few lesser known facts about this spooktacular holiday...
1. The first Jack O'Lanterns were actually made from turnips.
2. Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas.
3. Fifty percent of kids prefer to receive chocolate candy for Halloween, compared with 24% who prefer non-chocolate candy and 10% who prefer gum.
4. Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
5. Halloween is thought to have originated around 4000 B.C., which means Halloween has been around for over 6,000 years!
6. Boston, Massachussetts, holds the record for the most Jack O'Lanterns lit at once (30,128).
7. Pumpkins are classified as a fruit, not a vegetable. In fact, in 006, New Hampshire declared that its sate fruit is the pumpkin.
8. Both Salem, Massachusetts, and Anoka, Minnesota, are the self-proclaimed Halloween capitals of the world.
9. The average trick or treating bag of candy that one child will collect on Halloween contains about 11,000 calories.
10. Halloween is also National Doorbell Day--and for good reason: on Halloween, last year, ADT doorbells rang 268% more frequently.
Want more from Momtrends?
This is not a sponsored post. Tips by ADT Video Doorbell Camera.