Who doesn't love Halloween with all the candy and quirky costumes?! And with Halloween right around the corner, we thought it'd be fun to share a few lesser known facts about this spooktacular holiday...
Ten Frightfully Fun Halloween Facts
Use these fun trivia tidbits to impress your friends or as a Halloween game.
- The first Jack O'Lanterns were actually made from turnips.
- Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas.
- Fifty percent of kids prefer to receive chocolate candy for Halloween, compared with 24% who prefer non-chocolate candy and 10% who prefer gum.
- Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
- Halloween is thought to have originated around 4000 B.C., which means Halloween has been around for over 6,000 years!
- Boston, Massachussetts, holds the record for the most Jack O'Lanterns lit at once (30,128).\Pumpkins are classified as a fruit, not a vegetable. In fact, in 2006, New Hampshire declared that its sate fruit is the pumpkin.
- Both Salem, Massachusetts, and Anoka, Minnesota, are the self-proclaimed Halloween capitals of the world.
- The average trick or treating bag of candy that one child will collect on Halloween contains about 11,000 calories.
- Halloween is also National Doorbell Day--and for good reason: on Halloween, last year, ADT doorbells rang 268% more frequently.
Want more from Momtrends?
Be sure to follow Momtrends on Pinterest and for more spooky inspiration follow our Halloween and Thanksgiving Boards here.
This is not a sponsored post. Tips by ADT Video Doorbell Camera.