It's the perfect time to share a Christmas cookie recipe, or two, or many! Here's our favorite Classic Polish Christmas Cookies recipe. It's perfect for creating a cookie party playdate.
Why we love this Classic Polish Christmas Cookies Recipe
These are, by far, my favorite cookie, not only for the anise flavor, which gives them a hint of licorice, but for the memories. I can remember helping my mom and grandmother make them when I was a little girl, and now I get to watch my own children make them with my mom. They still use my great grandmother's wooden rolling pin and big mixing bowl, which makes it that much more special. I can't wait to head home in a few weeks where we all be making these traditional favorites with my mom once again.
A note about the recipe: you may wish to make half of the recipe. Half batches make about 7 dozen, we make full batches for Christmas and can end up with anywhere from 14-18 dozen, depending on the size of the cookie cutters.
Classic Polish Christmas Cookies Ingredients
10 cups flour
4 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 lb lard (this can't be shortening or butter)
1 cup sour cream
5 drops anise oil, minimum
Classic Polish Christmas Cookies Recipe Directions
1. Beat eggs with anise and sour cream
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, then make a well in the middle.
3. Crumble lard, then add egg mixture and mix well till dough forms.
4. Roll out dough, and cut with cookie cutters.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, till edges are lightly browned.
6. If desired, mix powdered sugar with boiling water to make a glaze, then add sprinkles!
Enjoy with a glass of milk or a dessert wine (why not!) and be sure to share your favorites too!
More Sugar Cookie Recipes on Momtends
Use Pinterset to follow us on pinterest and the Holiday Recipes and Crafts board here.