Time for the Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Gardens. We've got the insider tips to make your trip to this "must-see" holiday event. Buy tickets now to see the G-scale model trains puff along a half-mile of track in and around the 140 landmark buildings constructed entirely of natural materials: nuts, tree bark, fruits, pinecones, and leaves. It's a magical non-commercial experience that highlights the very best of the season.
Related: Holiday lights at the Bronx Zoo in NYC
Tips for Visiting the Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Gardens
- Be prompt. Tickets are timed. It's great to be at the head of your allotted time.
- Go early. We always sign up for the first time slot of the day. No wait and great views for short little people.
- Dress in layers. It is hot and humid (it's a conservatory after all!) inside. Leave the coats in the stroller.
- Visit the bathrooms at the main entrance--by the main gate.
- Bring a camera and be patient to nab a terrific photo.
- Plan enough time to walk through the Children's Garden after the trains--it's good to cool off and to let the kids frolic.
- Check out the calendar of children's events here and plan a full day at the garden.
Annual Holiday Train Show
This show will take place this year from Saturday, November 20, 2021 – Sunday, January 23, 2022 in the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory. Marvel at model trains zipping through an enchanting display of more than 175 famous New York landmarks—imagine the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Rockefeller Center, and other favorites—each delightfully re-created from natural materials such as pine cones, acorns, and seeds.
We Found the Best Dollhouses for Your Kids
I still remember the Christmas my parents brought out The Dollhouse. Mine was all wood, constructed from a kit my parents are bought and painstakingly put together. It was plain and unadorned, but in that house, I brought to life all kind of stories and sagas. Want to give your ...read more
Favorite Puzzles to Keep Kids Busy on Summer Break
We're always on the hunt for great unplugged ideas to keep the kids entertained during the summer months. One project our family loves to tackle each summer is the classic puzzle. We have a few stashed for rainy days and a few dedicated for our annual beach trip to the Outer ...read more
Home Food Prep Made Easy with Hello Fresh
School's out for summer and that means I'm constantly feeding people. With two teenagers plus two adults, my meal planning is pretty intense. I admit to getting some burnout. I found a solution that not only makes my life simpler, it also has give me kitchen inspiration. This ...read more
The New York Botanical Gardens is located at the Bronx River Parkway (Exit 7W) and Fordham Road. Onsite parking is $12 per vehicle.
MOMTRENDS TIPS TO PLANNING AN NYC VISIT
Check out our NYC page for things to see and do in NYC and don't miss these highlights.
- Favorite Museums in NYC for kids
- Favorite Family Friendly NYC restaurants
- Things to do with kids in NYC
Use Pinterest to save your favorite NYC outings. Be sure to follow our New York City board here.