Happy New Year! New Year, New You, am I right? We all start the year off with New Year's resolutions to better ourselves in some way and the popular resolutions include a goal of either weight-loss, fitness or both. I am starting the year off right with goals of easy, home-cooked meals that include five superfoods that not only provide essential nutrients and help with overall health improvements but can also help promote weight loss.
I love gifting Tonia Reinhard's book Superfoods: The Healthiest Foods on the Planet. This book is a great guide to achieving better health, preventing illness and shedding those extra pounds that inevitably show up after month-long holiday indulgences.
1. Cauliflower: This superfood boasts vitamin C, K, and B6 as well as folate fiber. I add riced cauliflower to my mashed potatoes in a 1:1 ratio. I serve riced cauliflower instead of carbs at meals, add it crumbled to my salad and roast it with garlic for a quick, nutritious side dish or snack. The kiddos love it raw with a little homemade yogurt dip.
2. Lentils: This superfood boasts vitamin B6, folate, fiber and is a great source of vegetarian protein. This legume is hearty enough to replace meat in chili, tacos or burritos. Lentil soup is an easy to make-ahead meal and freezes well. Toss lentils into wraps, burritos, casseroles or rice dishes for as a nutrient rich alternative to other more fattening fillers.
Holiday Gift Guide For Skiers and Riders
Planning to hit the slopes this winter? We've got gifts for everyone in the family. It's all about maximizing time outdoors with our picks for the holiday gear to gift to your favorite skiers and riders. Remember to shop early to help get everything to you in time. Gifts for Her ...read more
Ski Moms Fun Podcast
The struggle is real, but the rewards are great. Welcome to the Ski Moms Fun Podcast for women who love the outdoors and do the hard work of getting families out into the snow to play. Listen to the Latest Podcast You can listen right on the blog or head to your favorite podcast ...read more
Great toy holiday gifts for kids of all ages
Welcome to our final gift guide! We are bringing you a Gift Guide chock full of toys for All ages, some classic, some making their debut--all of them in our top-ten! We love that you've been following along and shopping from each of our curated guides. We hope to help bring you ...read more
3. Dates: This superfood offers both fiber and potassium and can be found fresh or dried. I incorporate dates into all of my baked goods (stew in hot water then puree to make a tasty, nutrient rich paste to add into brownies, cake mixes or other sweet treats). Dates are sweet and are great tossed into salads, cereals (both hot and cold!) and they pair well with poultry--or, try them stuffed.
4. Oats: This superfood offers fiber, protein, thiamine, and manganese. I often forget just how easily Oats can be used besides just for breakfast meals! Tonia suggests replacing 1/3 of the flour with oats (whether rolled or steel cut) in baked goods, use in meatloaf, toss in raw to smoothies, use as a yogurt topper or enjoy a filling and satisfying hot breakfast (don't forget to toss in some fresh dates!).
5. Yogurt: Superfood number 5 adds calcium, protein, and potassium as well as probiotics to your diet. Yogurt can be added to almost any baked good recipe, is an excellent substitute for sour cream in dips, and dressings and can be used in many ways to cut fat, calories all while maintaining texture and taste. Try a few here for inspiration.
Happy New Year! Let us know how you incorporated the 5 superfoods into your New Year Nutrition journey.
This is not a sponsored post.