3…2…1… We're blasting into the New Year with a little help from American Girl’s 2018 Girl of the Year, Luciana Vega! Luciana is the newest addition to American Girl’s line of inspiring characters meant to encourage young girls to think about who they want to be and how they want to make their mark, regardless of the challenges they may face.
At 11-years-old, Luciana is a confident and creative aspiring astronaut who dreams of being the first person to travel to Mars. She has skills and smarts, but knows that being a good leader and a team player right here on Earth is the best first step to achieving he goals. To celebrate the new American Girl, who officially became available on Jan. 1, we're giving away two Luciana Vega American Girl dolls. Enter via Rafflecopter, below. But, first, learn 8 more fun facts about Luciana, the dreamer and thinker...
1. Luciana is a role model for today’s girls—empowering them to defy stereotypes, and embrace risks that will teach them about failure and success as they chart their own course in life—whatever the end goal.
2. Luciana has STEM-inspired outfits, accessories, and products that reflect her Space Camp experience, such as Luciana’s Flight Suit and Space Suit, her Maker Station, and a Mars Habitat loaded with science and research essentials for hours of pretend play.
3. For the first time, girls can further engage in Luciana’s world by downloading the American Girl app and scanning her catalogue pages and products to unlock exclusive content, including augmented reality, trailers and videos, space simulations, quizzes and challenges, and much more.
4. Luciana’s story is chronicled in a chapter book series written by Erin Teagan and published by Scholastic. The first two books, available now, introduce readers to Luciana, a young girl of Chilean descent with a serious science streak, who loves the idea of exploring new territories in space. After winning a scholarship to Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama, Luciana is thrilled to launch her dream of landing on Mars. But as she ascends from Space Camp kid to youth astronaut trainee, she faces many challenges that test her competitive spirit and self-confidence, and she must find the courage to embrace the unknown with bravery, curiosity, and wonder.
5. American Girl worked with a stella space Advisory Board who, individually and collectively, were key in Luciana’s development: Dr. Ellen Stofan, former NASA Chief Scientist; Dr. Deborah Barnhart, CEO and Executive Director of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center; Dr. Megan McArthur Behnken, NASA Astronaut; and Maureen O’Brien, Manager of Strategic Alliances at NASA.
6. To engage girls and boys with Luciana’s message, American Girl—in partnerships with Scholastic, NASA, and Space Camp—has funded Blast Off to Discovery, an educational program to help third though fifth-grade students explore the wonder of space through Luciana-inspired content, including STEM-based lesson plans and classroom activities, videos, a game, and more. The program will be available on www.scholastic.com starting January 31, 2018.
7. American Girl and Scholastic will host a Mission to Mars Sweepstakes where families can go on a series of weekly missions for a chance to win several prizes, including a grand prize trip to Space Camp valued at over $2,000.
8. Girls and their families can train just like astronauts—including taking a tumble spin in the Multi-Axis Trainer and designing a robot—at a special Girl of the Year experience created in partnership with Space Camp starting in summer 2018. American Girl is also sponsoring 20 scholarships to attend Space Camp. To learn more, visit americangirl.com/meetluciana.
We are giving away 2 (TWO) dolls! Enter for your chance to win 1 (ONE) of 2 (TWO) Luciana Vega, the American Girl Doll of the Year, 2018. Enter via rafflecopter below.
This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are our own.