On Halloween, twice as many kids are hit and killed while walking than on any other day of the year. The sugar rush, yard-to-yard running and sense of community make it easier for a “rules no longer apply” mentality when trick-or-treating--so it's important to take some precautions. Here are a few tips to instill the rule of safety first!
Related: Halloween road safety tips
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights, use reflective tape or stickers on costumes and bags.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths, and if there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Cross the street at corners, use traffic signals and crosswalks and make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up as you walk across the street.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up, and don’t cross between parked cars.
- Make sure costumes aren’t too long so kids don’t trip on curbs or stairs. Masks can make visibility tough for kids, so choose face paint instead.
- Join kids under age 12 for trick-or-treating. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, tell them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
WANT MORE HALLOWEEN FROM MOMTRENDS?
Be sure to follow Momtrends on Pinterest and for more spooky inspiration follow our Halloween and Thanksgiving Boards here.
This is not a sponsored post. Tips by FedEx has teamed and Safe Kids Worldwide. Find more safety tips from both organizations + here’s a video that encourages the use of glow sticks or reflective clothing.